I did an EJ22 rebuild. Nasty business

Get the most out of your Engine / Gearbox with these handy hints ...
PeterVWsuby

I did an EJ22 rebuild. Nasty business

Post by PeterVWsuby » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:49 pm

I have an EJ22 in a 1975 VW Bus. I put a 2H engine in back in about 2004. It lasted 4 years. I put another 2H engine in in 2008. It lasted 5 years. So I decided to rebuild this time. I had two Subaru remanufactured fully rebuilt heads . Genuine new Subaru valves etc. that I got off ebay for $200. They were Subaru sealed. So I got a full rebuild kit with every bearing, seal, timing belt kit, waterpump, oil pump, pistons etc. through a family member. All big name brand parts, including ARP head stud kit and lots of Japan made seals etc. $800 for the lot. After spending $1800 on machining to 0.0001 thou (tenth of a thou), full balancing, weighting of rods, flywheel, clutch etc. I had all the best I could without being race prepared. So after spending about $3000, I assembled the engine. Followed everything correctly. It started instantly. I was very happy. Then I noticed water leaking from the back of the engine behind the flywheel. I was sad.

I got up the next day, pulled the engine, and found a small crack in the back of the block. I had hydrauliced one of the ARP head studs. So after locating another block and getting $600 machining done. One thread in the front of the block for a timing pulley was stripped. I helicoiled it, but the tap in the kit was different to the bolt, I got a new bolt. I was ready to start it again. Fuel line split, got a fuel line, It would not start, fuel in and return were on wrong, would not start. After sleepless nights trying everything, I eventually found I had the timing belt on wrong.

Any way to cut a veeeeery long story short, as I have left a lot out. It now runs sweet, smooth, torquey, quiet and hopefully lasts 20 years to make the cost economical compared to the 2H engines that were only lasting a few years.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:49 am

2h ?

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:50 pm

second hand

henpecked

Post by henpecked » Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:01 pm

I hope it lasts a very long time, you did the hard yards and deserve a good outcome. Cheers

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:50 pm

That's tough luck mate! What a way to find a shot block after all that good work!

Hopefully smooth sailing from here on in!

I bet the VW goes heaps better with the EJ!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

PeterVWsuby

Post by PeterVWsuby » Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:13 pm

Going from about 70 hp to 135hp is a big difference. The transaxle has no problems, as they can handle up to 300hp if treated well. The torque curve of the EJ22 suits the VW 2 litre transaxle and the bus size very well.
17.8sec 1/4 mile at 75mph with a stock EJ22

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:50 pm

hope the rest of the chookpen can handle that sort of shove ! Seen some fantastic bugs with EJ20 turbos shoe horned in the back , everything else beefed up

Brumby Kid
General Member

Post by Brumby Kid » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:51 am

Sounds like you should have put a 2H in it. Those things will run on 2/6 cylinders and unlike a subaru motor you don't have to worry about or fix your problems straight away lol
Love an old 2H toyota diesel!

Nice to hear your story Peter, but I do ask one favor... can we see some pictures?

Cheers Cam
When life gives you a corner, drop a gear, pitch, and stomp the loud pedal
Bianca: 1991 Subaru Brumby
My First / Project car

EA81 Rebuilt by Tony Knight from knight Engines
2" body lift
25" 185r14 Yokahama Delivery Star, light truck tyres
2" Sports exhaust
Rear Aguip step/bar
Liberty seats
"Bianca"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]