Carb turbo ea82

Get the most out of your Engine / Gearbox with these handy hints ...
pzs

Carb turbo ea82

Post by pzs » Sat May 17, 2014 4:58 pm

Have a low km carb 82, have clapped out ea82turbo, why not put turbo on carb engine.....no computer,injectors, etc. would the compression be to high for this to be successful?

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sat May 17, 2014 6:47 pm

be OK for a while, then something inside is gonna break out. Blow through or suck through on your mind ?

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Sat May 17, 2014 8:56 pm

Turbos with carbys are utter crap, there is a reason why everybody except tightarses tries to make them work

Take your carby block and put the turbo heads on it and you will have a good combo if you keep the inlet temps cool and only run 98 fuel
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

henpecked

Post by henpecked » Sat May 17, 2014 9:49 pm

pzs wrote:Have a low km carb 82, have clapped out ea82turbo, why not put turbo on carb engine.....no computer,injectors, etc. would the compression be to high for this to be successful?
I'm only an armchair expert ( so totally useless) but use these for blow through, suck through can have lag problems ,

http://www.turbogemini.com/Blow%20Throu ... %20Kit.htm

read more here

http://performanceforums.com/forums/sho ... Weber-carb

and yes, if you are putting in a turbo, you need to drop the cylinder compression with either low compression pistons or adding volume by using turbo heads or some other meathod - read here

http://www.torquecars.com/tuning/lower- ... -ratio.php

so its simple for you - just swap the heads ;) !

pzs

Post by pzs » Sun May 18, 2014 12:33 pm

Thats is great info.... a light bulb just went of...... I got a great spare engine with 160000km on it, I'll do this up with the old turbo engine heads and swap out with my low km engine when built. I'm off to the shed now!!!!

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Sun May 18, 2014 1:44 pm

The car you are putting this into has the turbo, EFI and computer already?

Otherwise you are up for a time comsuming money sucking project that would probably cost the same as putting in an EJ22 or EJ25 N/A for the same power results.

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

pzs

Post by pzs » Sun May 18, 2014 4:02 pm

TOONGA wrote:The car you are putting this into has the turbo, EFI and computer already?

Otherwise you are up for a time comsuming money sucking project that would probably cost the same as putting in an EJ22 or EJ25 N/A for the same power results.

TOONGA
It is called therapy, (VB/shed therapy) I have all the parts already, and I have all the time, 13 shifts per month. what i don't have is a EJ 22 or EJ 25 lying around or the money to buy one.

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Sun May 18, 2014 4:37 pm

Well then go for it ... Therapy is good :)

I do it in a similar way... minus the alcohol as I'm highly alergic to it ... everytime I drink it I break out in handcuffs :(

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sun May 18, 2014 9:26 pm

Hell yeah !! I got halfway there....EA82 carb block, mpfi turbo heads and cam - currently running it NA LPG. Even got the cross member cut out in this Brumby :evil:

Get the timing back to about 10 instead of 20 with this sort of comp

I need a 13 shifts a month job !

pzs

Post by pzs » Mon May 19, 2014 4:58 pm

steptoe wrote:Hell yeah !! I got halfway there....EA82 carb block, mpfi turbo heads and cam - currently running it NA LPG. Even got the cross member cut out in this Brumby :evil:

Get the timing back to about 10 instead of 20 with this sort of comp

I need a 13 shifts a month job !
What makes this a good combo?

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Mon May 19, 2014 9:24 pm

TOONGA wrote:Well then go for it ... Therapy is good :)

I do it in a similar way... minus the alcohol as I'm highly alergic to it ... everytime I drink it I break out in handcuffs :(

TOONGA

alcohol, hand cuffs and the wife wearing the pants ..... steeping over the mark of decency found in here Jules ? :p

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Mon May 19, 2014 9:29 pm

leaves you with 17 other shifts a month to play and fix up any errors should it all break :)

I also had the bits on hand, wanted to make use of a throttle body for an air valve for LPG, make use of the twin port intake if it wasn't to go turbo. Prolly runs about std 8.8:1 compression and pushed the lighter? Brumby along nicely and quietly, tows trailers very well, and the cut xmem is there in case turbo up pipe gets an urge to merge....

Return to “Engine, Gearbox and Diff”