Brumby Ea81 motor swap with Ea81 Jap import

Get the most out of your Engine / Gearbox with these handy hints ...
justincase41

Brumby Ea81 motor swap with Ea81 Jap import

Post by justincase41 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:36 pm

Howdy,

My 89 brumby has a very tired knocking and smoking motor.
I have a low km Ea81 jap import motor sitting here that I was planning on installing but have a few questions.

1) The jap donk as a 200mm clutch/flywheel combo. I have a few new 225mm clutch kits and fly wheels sitting here. Can I just bolt up the 225mm flywheel and clutch kit combo to the motor without any issues?. The spline count on the old 200mm clutch and new 225mm match.

2)The jap donk is an early motor so has bugger all pollution gear on the motor or intake manifold. Fitting this motor into the brumby is going to cause issues with all the pollution gear on the current tired donk. Can I, or am I better swapping over the intake manifold and carby from the tired motor to the early jap donk, or am i better to fit the early jap donk as is and eliminate all the pollution gear in the brumby. The issues I see are with the charcoal canister and associated pipe work. I can sort out the fuel return pretty easy but unsure about all the breathing pipes ect.
Current :
1992 Brumby (Future EJ20 Conversion)
2007 Toyota Prado 120
2012 Great Wall V200 (daily driver)
1997 Subaru Outback
1999 Toyota Surf (Beach Basher)
Past:
To Many to list!

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:47 pm

The flywheel is a direct swap as long as it is the "MY" flywheel and not the "L" series flywheel. The clutch kit and flywheel are different on the "L" series. "MY" clutch kit won't work properly with and "L" flywheel unless the step on the flywheel is machined. (L flywheel will bolt up with out a problem as well)

Will the car have problems passing rego without the emissions gear? if not leave the older engine as is and get rid of the extra stuff. if rego is a problem then change the manifold.

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

Nubaru

Post by Nubaru » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:35 am

MY is square flywheel (not same as square piston developed by Subaru, news released on Wednesday) , L a big taper/chamfer on it - also with the three soldiers lll timing belt install marks at about 9 aclock if TDC is at 12
member since 10january2014 #6191

Return to “Engine, Gearbox and Diff”