Oil leak! EJ 25 twin cam.....

Get the most out of your Engine / Gearbox with these handy hints ...
Battlewagon

Oil leak! EJ 25 twin cam.....

Post by Battlewagon » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:54 pm

Got to work today and when I stopped, smoke started pouring out from under the bonnet!
Seems theres an oil leak somewhere on the front of my motor, appears to be drivers side...checked oil level...its down, but not dramatically so...
Topped up oil before heading home....smoke every time I stopped.
Got home, checked oil, down just a little...
Any suggestions as to what it may be? cam seals?

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:32 pm

oil pressure switches good source of oil spills easy fixed

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:53 pm

Could be a failed cam or crank seal. I've seen a crank seal damaged (some how) to the point that it had a steady flow of oil at idle.

It could be the same for you. But I've also heard that the EJ25s can use a bit of oil between services too. Could be wrong on the age of your EJ25...

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Battlewagon

Post by Battlewagon » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:40 pm

Looks like its a crank or cam seal, the timing belt is saturated in oil, and the car is leaking a steady stream of oil...
Apart from the usual issues with setting up the timing belt which I will replace, is there any info I may need to be aware of in regards to replacing crank/cam seals?

Battlewagon

Post by Battlewagon » Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:38 pm

Pulled the cam gears off, and oh look.... theres a seal, just sitting there on the end of the cam.
Sooo, its time for new cam seals, timing belt, idlers and while I'm at it, oil and filter.
Any suggestions on where to get quality parts for a decent price would be appreciated.

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:22 pm

Frog can get you genuine ones.
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:34 pm

Gannon's right FROG is good for parts.

There is another way to go about it - Drop into rockauto dot com, find your model that's the same as the US market, find your engine and the kit you need. Find in the list of kits the one you're happy with - I went with a Dayco kit as I know that brand name.

Take the kit number and search for it on fleabay motors US. I got my SOHC EJ cam belt kit minus water pump for just over half of what I could get it here including postage.

There is a risk involved with this way to save on coin though. It gives me a bit of a gambling feeling sometimes :???:

Cheers

Bennie

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:42 pm

Gannon's right FROG is good for parts.

There is another way to go about it - Drop into rockauto dot com, find your model that's the same as the US market, find your engine and the kit you need. Find in the list of kits the one you're happy with - I went with a Dayco kit as I know that brand name.

Take the kit number and search for it on fleabay motors US. I got my SOHC EJ cam belt kit minus water pump for just over half of what I could get it here including postage.

There is a risk involved with this way to save on coin though. It gives me a bit of a gambling feeling sometimes :???:

Cheers

Bennie

Battlewagon

Post by Battlewagon » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:59 pm

Well, I went and bought the bits from my local parts place..and the timing belt is teflon lined.....I'm a little confused as to why?
So, I did a quick fix, installed the new seals to stop the leak and put the new idlers in....then a belt from a motor my mate rebuilt and ruined one week later.
It's ok, but I would like to fit the new belt....anyone had experience with them?

Return to “Engine, Gearbox and Diff”