EA81 odd smoker?

Get the most out of your Engine / Gearbox with these handy hints ...
steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:55 am

both IN and EX have two springs eachi

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:15 am

Doug do you have the EA81 FSM, or the Gregorys?

specifically the engine rebuild section, the gregorys is here

the EA81 FSM is here

that actually looks rather clean for an EA81 head :)

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

Subydoug

Post by Subydoug » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:26 am

Tweety, Thanks for the responce mate! Im about 98% sure its not break fluid. Havn't had to top it up the whole time Ive owned the car. How you described testing your valve stem guides sounds pretty interesting....Might just look deeper into my valve wear. Completely an unknown on the piston rings at the moment. Seeing how I go thisarvo. Il see if I get time to pull out the motor.

Steptoe, Hmm ok. I wasnt going to change it, was only curious if someone else had already.

TOONGA, I had been having brief looks at a FSM. I actually found this guy on YT.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Timetotinke ... rid&view=0

Which showed me a bit on pulling everything down.

Thats because I cleaned it :D. Sort of. Its getting a sandblast.

Regards

Doug

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:39 pm

I'm probably pointing out the obvious here but you need to take those valve stem seals out before the sand blast :rolleyes: And new ones installed after and set to the right height. I think an 11mm socket clips over them nicely to tap them down without damage.

And wow nice find on that guys channel! Can't believe I haven't found it yet!
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

Subydoug

Post by Subydoug » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:50 pm

Yep. Ive removed them already. In photo 103 you can see some damage to the head where someone has had at it with a screwdriver.

Doug

Subydoug

Post by Subydoug » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:08 pm

Hey Fellas,

After a light sandblast today I got out the elbow grease and gave the heads a once over. I think Im gonna need to surface them. Too corroded. What do you think?

Regards

Doug
Attachments
WP_000110.jpg
WP_000110.jpg (104.86 KiB) Viewed 2496 times
WP_000109.jpg
WP_000109.jpg (108.36 KiB) Viewed 2495 times
WP_000108.jpg
WP_000108.jpg (102.02 KiB) Viewed 2496 times

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:21 pm

a little skim will help the gasket sealing, help allay any worries you might be scrimping and risk a failure.....

Subydoug

Post by Subydoug » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:37 pm

Spoke to the boss. Going to give it a lite sand. The corrosion is not too bad and it isnt at the combustion area of the head.

Doug

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:17 am

Get yourself a nice thick flat sheet of glass or stone (about 2 -3 times as big as the head) and cover it with a coarse grade of garnet paper (100 -180) then using a figure of 8 motion and water to keep the paper usable you can face your heads.

While most people recommend skimming them, this works on the same principle and doesn't remove as much meat from the heads.

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

Subydoug

Post by Subydoug » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:29 am

That was pretty much the plan TOONGA. Hopefully I can do that thisarvo, check for warpage, reseat the valves and reassemble the heads. Easy as Pie :D. Then Il be happy enough to pull the motor out and start looking at that.

Doug

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:54 pm

revmax wrote:Taza how new is that motor. Ya gotta wonder if they put the compression rings in the wrong way or forgot the oil rings.
Well, ^ that's a whole other topic in itself!
Silverbullet wrote:I know I'm not TOONGA :eek: but you can't take the pistons out while engine is in the car; the access holes for the rear two pistons gudgeon pins are behind the flywheel housing which is bolted to the back of the block.
Not that you'd want to be going the job with the engine in the engine bay if it was possible!

Glad to hear you're going with the full rebuild. I know funds are probably tight but I'd be going for the re-bore. Parts should be easily purchased through the mob that do the re-bore work. Or if you know what size they're going to go with on the re-bore you could source them yourself... This would ensure that the engine is fresh after the build rather than having increased tolerances from just a hone.

My 2c anyway. I'll also be keen to see the total cost of the rebuild ;)

Cheers

Bennie

EDIT: while at it, will you be going for a cam regrind too? I know someone on here (Steptoe cough, cough) that has a pretty good grind to go with!
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Subydoug

Post by Subydoug » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:58 pm

Money really isnt an issue. I pretty much accepted that the moment I decided to pull it apart. Im only doing this for the love :D. Re-boring isnt a problem, I can get it done for free ;). I will be pulling the motor soon and then Il know.

Doug

Subydoug

Post by Subydoug » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:00 pm

This makes me laugh,

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/margaret ... 1007827310

Though I wouldn't mind a little Brumby....

Subydoug

Post by Subydoug » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:33 am

Hey,

Didn't get crap all done today. Pulled out the head studs and cleaned the block surface. Got a question though. Scrubbed a little bit of carbon off the crown of the pistons. They have "0.50" stamped on them. Is this like motorcycles And that is actually an indication of how much oversized the bore is? Or am I way off the mark?

Doug

OKsubaru

Post by OKsubaru » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:27 am

0.50 looks like it may be an oversize 0.60" is 1.0mm pretty much the max OS pistons available. Genuine pistons may have Subarus boomerang logo in the casting on the crankcase side
:)

Subydoug

Post by Subydoug » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:26 am

Well I wont know that until finally pull the motor out. Radiator is out so Its just a matter of lifting it out.

Regards

Doug

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:01 pm

Yep, sounds like it's had a rebuild before! There's always the option of re-sleeving the block. I don't know the cost of this but it would allow you to return to the stock sized piston... Maybe. The cost would probably kill this exercise I'd imagine :(

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Subydoug

Post by Subydoug » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:48 pm

Deffinately been apart before. I can still see the cross-hatching in the bores. hit a bit of a snag though fella's. I think Im gonna have to put it back together this weekend, rebuild or not :(. Either that or get another car. Anyway, irrelevent at the moment.

Just did the valves in one of the heads. They were pretty bad :(. Lapped, and re-springed. Heads are both sanded and looking good. I cant be bothered doing the other head tonight so Il either do it tomorrow morning or in the arvo. Pulled the radiator out and had a look. Its also been replaced recently. New Thermostat on the way. Il pick up all new hoses as well when I get the chance. Also, to anyone interested. I have all the old aircon system in this car. It leaked all the gas out and to be honest, I dont really want it. If anyone wants part of it yell out.

Regards

Doug

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:26 pm

Hang on a tic, is that Carlisle as in Port Adelaide? Surely google maps is lying to me! On the off chance that you live in Adelaide I might be interested in the A/C stuff, is the box under the dash included?
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

Subydoug

Post by Subydoug » Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:34 pm

Carlisle in Perth WA. Only thing Ive pulled out so far is the condensor and compressor.

Doug

Return to “Engine, Gearbox and Diff”