2005 h6 motor into 1996 liberty, possible?

Get the most out of your Engine / Gearbox with these handy hints ...
leeton1203

2005 h6 motor into 1996 liberty, possible?

Post by leeton1203 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:14 pm

it is a far fetched idea but thought i would ask anyhow, would it first of all fit the mounts and second how much of an effort would it be in wiring and stuff. all in all, would it be that difficult.

niterida
General Member

Post by niterida » Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:34 pm

physically bolts straight in. Not sure about whether the radiator still fits or not though.

Biggest problem is definitely the wiring. You would be best off with a half cut to get everything you need.

Has been done before - its a Gen 2 Liberty but Gen1 / Gen 2 pretty much the same when it comes to doing this swap : showthread.php?t=16753
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:20 am

Not far fetched at all and like Ken said, it's been done before so you should be able to get some pointers off the guys that converted it. I think the price of the Gen3 H6 compaired to converting a Gen2 would be a lot cheaper but saying this I do like the look of the Gen2 over the Gen3.
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

leeton1203

Post by leeton1203 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:01 am

ok so bolts in to mounts and gearbox? i am would be getting it out of a wreaked car so it could be possible to get all the wire ring act. how about the gear box, would it be better to change that over as well...though i don't know if the 2005 has the low range which i want. any way with the wiring would i jest get the harnessed spliced or would it be possible to convert the whole lot as in dash and such.... just getting the harness spliced would be a lot better, easier. well it would probably be best to ask these things to old mate who has done the conversion already;) well thanks for the recommendations anyhow if its cost is feasible i would like to do it, get a bit more power behind the wheels:). well thanks again.

niterida
General Member

Post by niterida » Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:16 pm

a 2005 model has a LOT of electronics - I think splicing it in will be a nightmare unless you have done this exact conversion before. You may be able to send the harness off to Al at AM Auto up in Qld but it will cost you somewhere between $500-1000.

This will be one very expensive conversion. Easier and cheaper to buy a Gen3 H6.
Or get an early Gen 3 H6 motor/front cut as there are less electronics on it and it may be an easier conversion.

If you want to use as much 2005 bits as you can then you would need the complete dash including the aircond etc and then you are up for more time and money to make that fit and you still have to splice in the rear harness etc etc.

Its doable but not as easy as you think.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

leeton1203

yha...ambitious i think

Post by leeton1203 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:51 pm

thanks everyone but i think it would be both a bit ambitious of me for the cost and outcome. Sure more power but a lot of hassle to get it. if i were putting a diesel in i would probably give it a go...on that I'm still looking for a little diesel engine that will fit in...actually should probably say bolt in...mostly;), without going to the new Subaru diesel. but i don't think there is one for as of yet i am yet to find it done. i think i might just fix up the head gaskets and other problems in my 2.2 then look at giving it a bit more power, simpler. again thanks for everyones in put i originally asked the question because i was curious not really thinking it really a practical thing. but time, finance and know how are a little laking on my side.

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:06 pm

I think any engine conversion is very ambitious if you've never done them before. Sure there is lots of engines that would fit in but due to Subaru's large front crossmember it makes it very limited to what would fit. IMO I would buy a car that comes from factory like it or fine one that someone has done professionally.

Would still love to see another Gen2 H6 on the road though :cool:
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

seagull

Post by seagull » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:37 pm

I have that EZ30 05 motor here in Perth
comes with the electrical harness & ecu
Headers & cats & speedo cluster
$1800.00

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:09 pm

RSR 555 wrote:Would still love to see another Gen2 H6 on the road though :cool:
Me too! But for now I guess I'll just have to put up with hanging out with one from time to time :twisted:

And anyone considering doing this conversion should go with a manual gearbox - they're insanely quick for a NA engine! And loads of torque to boot!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Return to “Engine, Gearbox and Diff”