Auto Gearbox Won't Engage Drive

Get the most out of your Engine / Gearbox with these handy hints ...
Bobneil

Auto Gearbox Won't Engage Drive

Post by Bobneil » Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:48 pm

Hi Guys, I'm a newbie to the forum and I'm pleased to have found you. I have just purchased a secondhand 1999 Gen3 Outback (auto). My problem is that when I reverse and do not brake but slide the sifter straight into drive, the gearbox won't select drive (IE the vehicle will not move forward), I sit there as if the car is in neutral. I can have the same problem occasionally when I first start the car in the morning. It can take any where from a few seconds to engage to 5 or 10 minutes and it only seems to work if I select first and rev the engine. A friend suggested a solenoid. If anyone has any thoughts on this I would be grateful.

seagull

Post by seagull » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:58 pm

has it the correct oil level

Tweety
General Member

Post by Tweety » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:42 pm

Yeh, seagull could be on the money. some autos I've owned have needed to be just over full, ie jsut above the top mark to work flawlessly.

this could be for a number of reasons. I know my old type 3 auto in tweety has to be 2mm above the top mark or it will lose drive going up slow inclines like my driveway...until flat ground.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Tweety trike- EA81 (full reco 2014) 32/36 weber, SPFI manifold, 9.5:1 CR, VW auto.

Return to “Engine, Gearbox and Diff”