engine removal

Get the most out of your Engine / Gearbox with these handy hints ...
outback.dreams

engine removal

Post by outback.dreams » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:25 am

hi guys n girls,
just looking for some advise as to how to go about removing the engine from my 1990 brumby.
Any tips or advise would be great:p

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:01 am

I would like to advise on giving advice :)

Make sure all the bolts are undone :) earth straps as well.

on the odd chance your brumby is an auto undo the torque convertor bolts via the starter motor hole.

remove the radiator it makes the whole operation way easier and stops the
chance of the radiator being holed on the engines removal.

use an engine crane or a chain block unless you / and a friend are very healthy.

put a jack under the gear box so it is easier to get the engine out and back in.

if you are removing the clutch make sure it is lined up before it goes back in to the car. otherwise you will be there forever ondering why the engine won't go back in. (clutch aligning tool or a good eye, others suggest not tightening the pressure plate up until everything is in place via the stater motor hole)

if this is the first time you have taken a motor out, read a factory service manual, gregorys or haynes on the subject; or make sure someone who has done this before is around to advise and give advice. :)

sorry

TOoNGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:17 am

If dizzy is electronic module rather than points, I find I save some minutes by not undoing conns at coil but pull cap and rotor (so they do not get damaged) and then pull the two wires off the module and wind them back over to the coil out of the way. saves a few mins on install.

Degrease engine and engine bay first, twice even !!

Don't mind TOONGA advice on advice, must be teacher coming out of him :)

Alex
Elder Member

Post by Alex » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:27 am

TOONGA wrote: if you are removing the clutch make sure it is lined up before it goes back in to the car. otherwise you will be there forever ondering why the engine won't go back in. (clutch aligning tool or a good eye, others suggest not tightening the pressure plate up until everything is in place via the stater motor hole)
best bit of advice. its all fairly strait forward other than the clutch which can be a pain.

alex
my07 Outback
my13 Hyundai i45(shhhh)
my02 Gen3 Liberty limited ed.

previously
L-series wagon, LSD, EJ20turbo, 29in tyres, 'wanky wagon'
2000 gen3 outback, lifted, otherwise stock.

Haymaker

Post by Haymaker » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:16 pm

Further to the above. If this is your first time take some detailed photos of the engine bay before you start, paying attention to which hose/wire goes where. Will help you later on when putting it all back. Otherwise its pretty straight forward. The main thing to remember is safety first. Disconnect the battery first and always use vehicle stands when getting underneath to undo the exhaust and engine mounts.

Return to “Engine, Gearbox and Diff”