Aircon belt.

Get the most out of your Engine / Gearbox with these handy hints ...
Thalass

Aircon belt.

Post by Thalass » Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:53 am

Hey guys. I have a question about the aircon belt on my 00 Outback. I am sick to gorram death of having to adjust the damn thing every few weeks. Stupid thing squeaks like a bastard. So i would like to replace it with a small electric motor. The clutch control should be able to be coopted to drive a motor - most likely by engaging a relay and feeding power that way. Possibly through a soft start thing, i dunno.

Anyway, looking at the manual the belt only drives the a/c, and what is called in the book an "idler pully." This is probably a really stupid question, but is that required for the engine to operate? That whole belt is absent in non-aircon vehicles, according to the book so i'm hoping 'no'. haha.

It'd be really nice to not have to worry about that ear-splitting noise. :p
Living in Canada now. Looking at all these SVXs for sale...
I'VE GOT AN OUTBACK AGAIN WOOT

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:22 am

Im assuming you have tried a new belt?

There are products that you can buy that you spray on the belt to stop the squeaking.

The car will run fine without the aircon belt

As for running it off an electric motor, you would almost need a starter motor to create the torque required to run the compressor at its rated speed, not really a feasible exercise.
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

poprock1

Belt slip

Post by poprock1 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:21 am

An alternative is to try the type of belt used to drive ride on mower blades. If you can find the right size and pitch.They are usually green in colour and designed to resist a lot of heat and vegetation oiling.

Return to “Engine, Gearbox and Diff”