Clutch cable question

Get the most out of your Engine / Gearbox with these handy hints ...
poprock1

Clutch cable question

Post by poprock1 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:51 pm

Hi Guys; Still on the electric sub. Have motor removed. I intend to remove clutch fork from bell housing and use the clutch pedal cable for an emergency disconnect. What does the second cable to the hydraulic cylinder on the left subframe do? is it just an hydraulic assist? Will it affect anything else if it is disconnected?:confused:

Busdriver

Post by Busdriver » Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:30 am

Thats for the hill holder, it holds the brakes on a hill until the clutch can be released and then lets the brakes off. Probably disconnect without any issues.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Busdriver, 91 L Enduro Wagon, stock ,for now.
Lots of Ks,A/C, MP3 sometimes(if its not dark) singing steering wheel cover which I listen too when its dark.

Suby Newbie

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:26 am

I have disconnected a few and had no side effects other than not have hill holder help :)

poprock1

Hill holder

Post by poprock1 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:33 pm

Thank you for your answer. If I said that my first car was a 1948 lowlite Morris Minor could you guess how old I am? Hill holder? As Pauline Hanson said: " Please explain" How does this devil-magic work?

Busdriver

Post by Busdriver » Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:47 am

Hill holder is engaged when clutch is depressed, brakes are applied and car is facing uphill. Hillholder keeps brakes applied when brake pedal is released. Hillholder disengages when clutch is released to allow for uphill starts without rolling back down the hill. Dont know if they were ever fitted to Morris cars, and I guess it would depend on how old you were when the Morry became yours?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Busdriver, 91 L Enduro Wagon, stock ,for now.
Lots of Ks,A/C, MP3 sometimes(if its not dark) singing steering wheel cover which I listen too when its dark.

Suby Newbie

poprock1

Hill holder;

Post by poprock1 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:15 am

18, but the car was 14 : I think I understand; similar to the old Chrsler vip mercury ignition light switch. There must be a sensor indicating horizontal attitude of the car which activates brake pressure above a set angle with brake pressure released by the clutch depression.It sounds similar to Isuzu's hill start. Removing the cable would only be dangerous if the release valve stuck in the locked position. Then again, not dangerous because the car wouldn't move Thank You.

Return to “Engine, Gearbox and Diff”