Bolt pattern

Get the most out of your Engine / Gearbox with these handy hints ...
poprock1

Bolt pattern

Post by poprock1 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:51 pm

Hi, Brian from Hunter Valley. I would like to obtain a schematic diagram of the bolt pattern motor to gearbox for a 1989 L series 4wd wagon, Australian model. It is a 1.8 L carby engine. At the moment it is a hybrid with a 36V motor driving the rear diff. This works but the 3.7:1 ratio is too high for the motor. Previously I had this motor in a 1968 Hillman Hunter and it drove through the 4spd box, starting in 2nd and travelling in 3rd with a diff ratio of 3.9:1 and I want to try this on the Suby. It would save downtime if I had the adaptor plate already made, as this car is used daily. Hope to hear from you soon. Thank You.

:confused:

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:17 pm

Hi, sounds like an interesting project, I'd love to hear more about it.
In my experience with adaptor plates (have made one by hand to adapt from EJ22 engine to EA82 gearbox) I found the most accurate way was to use an actual engine and gearbox as a template, rather than relying on somebody's measurements. If you still have either the engine or gearbox from the car that would be your best bet. Otherwise pick up a spare engine or gearbox from somebody, they should be readily available and cheap, especially ruined ones.

Edit - just re-read your post and it seems like you might still be running the carby engine and gearbox in the car and havn't actually put the 36V in yet? I guess my advice still stands, but requires you to try and find a spare gearbox, but should be easy to find.

wrxer

Post by wrxer » Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:44 pm

i think there is a suby motor driving front wheels only, and a electric motor bolted to the rear diff?
interesting!
"UNDERSTEER" is when you hit the fence with the front of the car.
"OVERSTEER" is when you hit the fence with the rear of the car.
"HORSEPOWER" is how fast you hit the fence.
"TORQUE" is how far you take the fence with you.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
If it works, pull it apart to see why.

poprock1

subarev

Post by poprock1 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:21 pm

Yes; car still has fwd fully operational. Pics show early fitment of forklift motor. Motor is really too small for this car and would be better in the small subaru that weighs 650 kg. Batteries are old forklift batteries and run down quickly. Top speed is only 40kmh on level ground with 4.5k distance.Interestingly the Prius Hybrid has a range of 3km on battery alone.
If anyone decides to do a similar project use at least 72v with LifPo batteries.
DIY Electric Car Forums is the website. Hope the pics attach ok. Some will be of the Hillman Hunter with the motor on the gearbox
Attachments
100_0063.jpg
100_0063.jpg (110.1 KiB) Viewed 889 times
017.jpg
017.jpg (30.04 KiB) Viewed 887 times
100_0073.jpg
100_0073.jpg (111.23 KiB) Viewed 891 times

Return to “Engine, Gearbox and Diff”