ej25 outback ... blown head gasket i think

Get the most out of your Engine / Gearbox with these handy hints ...
stinky

ej25 outback ... blown head gasket i think

Post by stinky » Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:37 am

I'm pretty sure I've blown a head gasket ... I overheat intermittantly, the filler bottle gets overfilled from pressure ... the fluid gets a little oily, etc etc.

anything else I should check for before assuming the worst?

any tips on keeping it running for as long as possible ... my commute is only a few km a day, and I don't have the cash right now to think about getting it fixed, or even if it's worth getting fixed.
'91 brumby, EJ-Turbo with VOSChip, 2" lift, 15" superlites, Dual Range AWD.

'93 Subaru Legacy, 2.2 auto, automatic seatbelts, LHD.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:54 am

Sounds like it or a cracked head but the 25 has a bad rep for this. Was just thinking you were very quiet in the US, but looks like you are back. Bit hard to beat combustion pressure and oil pressure in this case.

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:09 am

What year is your Outback? the first generation Outbacks had the EJ25 Quad Cam engine and was proned to head gasket issues but the later generation Outbacks haven't had any common issues with regards to overheating.

If the gasket is leaking then it depends on how bad it is? as some products like Chemi-weld will not work if the leak is really bad. Check under your oil filter car and see if there is any watery/oil gunk. I would only use this as a very temporary measure and once fixed, I'd make sure you have the radiator cleaned out.

As for whether or not to fix it, it all depends on what the car owes you and if your willing to keep it afterwards?? I think the Outbacks are an awesome car and really don't have many issues.. but that's just me :)
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

wrxer

Post by wrxer » Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:52 pm

sounds like a gasket to me. put the rad cap only part way on. no pressure will build up to blow water out. works if you dont have far to go.
"UNDERSTEER" is when you hit the fence with the front of the car.
"OVERSTEER" is when you hit the fence with the rear of the car.
"HORSEPOWER" is how fast you hit the fence.
"TORQUE" is how far you take the fence with you.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
If it works, pull it apart to see why.

95Liberty

Post by 95Liberty » Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:30 pm

That happened to me once. Was an ej25. I got an engine replacement.

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:04 pm

DOHC EJ25 is prone to headgasket problems. Hope the engine itself is ok and just the heads that could be rooted, only way to find out is to get the heads off and buy good quality gasket not cheapies.
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:
1995 Liberty "Rallye" - 5MT AWD, LSD - *written off 25/8/06 in towing accident.
1996 Liberty Wagon - SkiFX AWD 5MT D/R, Lifted.. Outback Sway Bar, 1.59:1 Low Gearing see thread: 1.59:1 in EJ Box Page
Sold at 385,000kms in July 2011.
2007 Liberty BP Wagon, 2.5i automatic

stinky

Post by stinky » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:43 am

ya it's a '97 DOHC ej25 with 160k miles on it ... I paid $2k for it so I don't want to spend the money to get the head / head gasket done ... I haven't seen any external leaking.

I also don't have any decent tools, nor do I know the EJ engines well enough that I'd want to try and strip it down myself.

At the cost of the cars here ... I would probably be better off just dumping the current at a dealer and buy another and hope it's in better shape :D
'91 brumby, EJ-Turbo with VOSChip, 2" lift, 15" superlites, Dual Range AWD.

'93 Subaru Legacy, 2.2 auto, automatic seatbelts, LHD.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:53 am

mmmm..... cars are cheap over there in the US. seen a few ads in papers where some dealers have at least five Ford Taurus to choose from at $995 ea :) just think , a car that sold for A$45, 000 new here, inspired the AU Falcons lines ? all for less than a grand !!!

Return to “Engine, Gearbox and Diff”