Vacume Actuator on 5 speed

Get the most out of your Engine / Gearbox with these handy hints ...
Brumble

Vacume Actuator on 5 speed

Post by Brumble » Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:01 pm

Does anyone know how I would go installing a 5 speed box out of a 1985 DL wagon with the push-button activated 4wd selector into a brumby? It only clicked today that the vacume actuator on the gearbox may not fit in the tunnell of the brumby.

If it isn't going to fit would it be possible to replace the vacume actuator with a mechanical linkage from another car?

Matt
General Member

Post by Matt » Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:50 pm

Check out this thread they have pics of hwo to do it and a good explanation to. I am half way through mine at the moment.
showthread.php?t=11821&highlight=speed
"Bianca"
'86 Brumby - Dual Port Heads, 5 Speed Dual Range, Custom Cam, Tuned Weber, Tuned Suspension, 2" Body Lift Kit, LSD, 14" rims, 2.25" Exhaust, Snorkel, Dual Batteries, DVD Player, UHF, VHF, etc. Offically now part of the 350, 000 km Club! :) And still pulling like a freight train.

"Claudia"
82 MY Wagon - EA81T, RS Liberty WIAC, 5 Speed Dual Range, Tuned Suspension, 14" Rims 27" Tyres, 2" Body Lift Kit, Apline Head unit, UHF, Roof Console, L Series seats, Soon to have New Paint, snorkel, Dual batteries, etc

Brumble

Post by Brumble » Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:39 pm

I've been keeping a close eye on the above mentioned thread and am pretty confident with the general procedure. I am just not sure that the 5 speed box that I have will fit in the transmission tunnell with the vacume actuator on side of it. I'm hoping someone else has done it otherwise I may have to try and rig up a manual selector to it.

Matt
General Member

Post by Matt » Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:43 pm

Is yours lifted or standard height? Also is a FT 5 speed box or a PT 5 Speed box?
"Bianca"
'86 Brumby - Dual Port Heads, 5 Speed Dual Range, Custom Cam, Tuned Weber, Tuned Suspension, 2" Body Lift Kit, LSD, 14" rims, 2.25" Exhaust, Snorkel, Dual Batteries, DVD Player, UHF, VHF, etc. Offically now part of the 350, 000 km Club! :) And still pulling like a freight train.

"Claudia"
82 MY Wagon - EA81T, RS Liberty WIAC, 5 Speed Dual Range, Tuned Suspension, 14" Rims 27" Tyres, 2" Body Lift Kit, Apline Head unit, UHF, Roof Console, L Series seats, Soon to have New Paint, snorkel, Dual batteries, etc

Brumble

Post by Brumble » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:11 pm

The brumby has a two inch lift kit in it. The box is a part time 4wd 5 speed out of an old L series.

Matt
General Member

Post by Matt » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:34 pm

If you can measure a postion it is in and what side of the gearbox it is, i can check on mine. Or post a picture and some rough deminsions.
"Bianca"

"Claudia"

Brumble

Post by Brumble » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:06 pm

Thanks for that. I still might take you up on the offer in the near future but a few developments over the last couple of days mean I may be scratching ea81T and L 5 speed conversion for a full wrx conversion. I should know sometime in the next fortnight. When I started weighing up the costs involved in getting the ea81T to the point that I want I realized that for a similar price I may be able to do a full ej20T conversion.

Thats the idea anyway.

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:15 pm

that is an extremely smart idea!

Brumble

Post by Brumble » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:29 pm

It may have taken me a while but I saw the light in the end. I'm in the process of filling in the paperwork for vehicle modification approval with the Motor Vehicle Registry. I spoke to someone there today and they didn't seem to think that cutting the chassis rails to fit in the ej20t would be an issue so long as it was done by a ticketed welder. I'll just have to wait and see what other conditions they will put on it. If there are going to be too many hoops to jump through then I will put in a non turbo ej20 instead.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:57 pm

Or if you still wanted the turbo you could put non turbo heads on it... dunno what this will do to cam timing etc or the turbo plumbing but it will eliminate the need to cut the chassis rail...

Good to hear you've worked it out on your own - cost of each conversion that is... Just after I'd done my MPFI conversion in my L I was told that for about the same amount of money I could've done an EJ conversion. I did learn a lot while installing the MPFI - this helped me a lot during the EJ conversion, particularly with regards to wiring and what was involved with the different sensors (and their roles etc).

All the best with your conversion, I hope its a smooth ride in the end! You'll love it and be glad that you went the EJ turbo.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Return to “Engine, Gearbox and Diff”