ea82 - ej20tt converstion - need some questions answered, can ya help?

Get the most out of your Engine / Gearbox with these handy hints ...
dirtcurcuit10

ea82 - ej20tt converstion - need some questions answered, can ya help?

Post by dirtcurcuit10 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:19 pm

Hi I'm Chris,
Getting into dirt circuit racing in SA, found myself a L series wagon 92, and purchased a ej20tt motor (import). My mechanic (not a subi kinda guy but as keen as mustard) and I have noticed that the fly wheel pattern is different....anyone got any information, suggestions, phone numbers/contacts....basically anything that will help with the completion of this converstion. I have heard that the 'Back Yard Boys' have come up with a adaptor plate but up until now i can not seem to get a hold of them (any one know the contact number ??? )
Maybe i should start a sensis of 'Have i bitten off more than i can chew with this converstion??' From what i have heard/read so far, subaru parts tend to match from motor to motor and from old to new?????????????????????????
Anyone with any info i'd be happy to call ya just text me ya phone number on 0400504553
cheers,
chris.s

phillatdarwin

Post by phillatdarwin » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:10 am

it can be don .
but i do not know how to do it .
but if u look in the search thread u will find lots of info as well as from posting up hear .

Luke

Post by Luke » Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:51 am

SJR Lift sells the adapters you need. Not sure about the process myself though.

http://www.sjrlift.com/index.php?option ... r&Itemid=3

niterida
General Member

Post by niterida » Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:51 am

Join up on http://www.rslibertyclub.org and have a look at the twin turbo conversion threads. Ask AL[RSLC] about them - he is the guru when it comes to conversions and especially wiring. Unfortunately most of the advice will be NOT to use a twin turbo. they are notoriuosly fickle to get running right, do not like modifications, take a lot of extra work in the wiring to do properly. This especially applies if you are not experienced with them. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:55 am

You will need the adaptor plate to get the gearbox to physically bolt to the engine yes. You can buy lazercut steel ones from BYB or make one yourself out of aluminium - it's dead easy.

Regarding flywheel you will need to use the EA82 one to match the gearbox. The bolt pattern is slightly different, you can get around this by elongating the holes using a round file - it takes a few hours of filing but works great. The flywheel still centres fine because it centres on the middle hole rather than the actual bolt holes. Get the flywheel surface machined new too.

Clutch you will need to use the EA82 one too, but you will need a new clutch disc and have the pressure plate custom beefed up. For a turbo EJ20 motor you will need it beefed to around 2200 pounds. Note - the "heavy duty" exceedy brand EA82 off-the-shelf clutch kits are NOT be up to the task.

However......if you are rallying then you really wouldn't want to use the EA82 gearbox. It's probably going to break.
I recommend you go to the next level and fit a proper 5spd AWD gearbox (well the 6spd is the ultimate but these cost heaps).
To fit the EJ AWD gearbox you need to do a few extra things;
- Customise the EJ gearbox crossmember and combine it with the existing EA82 crossmember
- Shorten the L series tailshaft by 70mm
- Shorten the EJ shifter linkage by a small amount
- Custom fit a hydraulic clutch master cylinder to the firewall and link it to the clutch pedal

Regarding the motor, don't worry bout this.
The twin turbo motors are abit more complex but still work great in an L series. Fatz put one into his Monster lifted wagon without any issues (well none relating to the engine anyway as far as I know).

dirtcurcuit10

Post by dirtcurcuit10 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:08 pm

cheers for all ya help, its goin well at this stage ,made the adapter plate (4 hours) out of 12MM aloy plate,2nd hand ($30) an digrinded the fly wheel holes,at my local mechanic,cheers chriso!... fits up perfect i am going to use the ea82 man box hoping that the dirt track will break traction first rather than the drive line but i will keep ya posted!!!!!!!

Fatz
General Member

Post by Fatz » Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:40 pm

if you have any issues, myself and Chris_Rogers have both done this successfully.
Shoot me a pm if you have any questions.
cheers

twilightprotege

Post by twilightprotege » Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:49 pm

does sjr or byb make the adapter plate for 8-bolt Ej20's?

06 Foz, 2" lift, 225/70/16 tyres

Return to “Engine, Gearbox and Diff”