Duel range manual into H6

Get the most out of your Engine / Gearbox with these handy hints ...
seagull

Duel range manual into H6

Post by seagull » Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:08 pm

There was a guy in Perth that had a Duel range manual gear box fitted into his H6 . any one know the guy ?

or seen this conversion done ?

seagull

Outback bloke

Post by Outback bloke » Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:38 pm

Al at AMAuto has one in his.

seagull

Post by seagull » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:24 pm

He has a V3 gear box single range i think ?

legacytt

H6 Manual

Post by legacytt » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:34 pm

I have one in mine. Needed a heavy duty clutch and pressure plate as it uses the push clutch rather than the turbo pull one. Conversion was straight forward mechanically, you need a TT rear gearbox xmember so the exhaust clears. Electrically you need to disable the inhibitor switch, wire in a speed sensor and bypass a couple of wires in the ABS circuit. Al was very helpfull with some wiring diagrams, which I still have if you need them. I still get a fault code for auto codes as does vaccine on the RS forums who fitted a 6 speed to his. Attempts are being made to get the ecu alltered and those codes turned off using romraider software, not sure if this has been achieved yet. The car goes much better as a manual and has very smooth power delivery right through the rev range. Similar power to a lightly modded RS.
Gen 1 Legacy GT 3inch lift and 28's

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:40 pm

sounds interesting...
arent they 4 bolt or 8 bolt engines?

Why didnt subaru bring out H6 with manuals?
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:
1995 Liberty "Rallye" - 5MT AWD, LSD - *written off 25/8/06 in towing accident.
1996 Liberty Wagon - SkiFX AWD 5MT D/R, Lifted.. Outback Sway Bar, 1.59:1 Low Gearing see thread: 1.59:1 in EJ Box Page
Sold at 385,000kms in July 2011.
2007 Liberty BP Wagon, 2.5i automatic

legacytt

H6 Manual

Post by legacytt » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:01 pm

They are 8 bolt so I put a box from a similar era RX Liberty in. They didn't do manuals in the earlier ones as they were all in Outbacks and Subaru doesn't trust their dual range box behind anything with power. You can buy the Gen 4 3.0RB with manual 6 speed now. I nearly bought one of these but neede the extra clearance that he Outback had. Only the earlier H6 Outbacks can be converted to manual easily and only the ones without VDC if you want to retain the ABS. As a result you can't have std leather/sunroof etc.

GOD

Post by GOD » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:17 pm

legacytt wrote:Only the earlier H6 Outbacks can be converted to manual easily and only the ones without VDC if you want to retain the ABS. As a result you can't have std leather/sunroof etc.
How early? Gen 3 series 1, or all Gen 3s? That might throw a spanner into the works of my next project :(.

Dane.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1993 EA82/EJ18/EJ22/EJ22/EJ20/EJ22 L Series perpetual project

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:19 pm

GOD wrote:How early? Gen 3 series 1, or all Gen 3s? That might throw a spanner into the works of my next project :(.

Dane.
I think it was Gen 3 series 2, starting from 2001 (possibly very late 2000)?
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:
1996 Liberty Wagon - SkiFX AWD 5MT D/R, Lifted.. Outback Sway Bar, 1.59:1 Low Gearing see thread: 1.59:1 in EJ Box Page

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:43 pm

Regarding having to beef the clutch due to using a push type, perhaps the dual range box could be transplanted into a turbo casing to take advantage of a turbo pull clutch.

seagull

Post by seagull » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:06 pm

legacytt wrote:I have one in mine. Needed a heavy duty clutch and pressure plate as it uses the push clutch rather than the turbo pull one. Conversion was straight forward mechanically, you need a TT rear gearbox xmember so the exhaust clears. Electrically you need to disable the inhibitor switch, wire in a speed sensor and bypass a couple of wires in the ABS circuit. Al was very helpfull with some wiring diagrams, which I still have if you need them. I still get a fault code for auto codes as does vaccine on the RS forums who fitted a 6 speed to his. Attempts are being made to get the ecu alltered and those codes turned off using romraider software, not sure if this has been achieved yet. The car goes much better as a manual and has very smooth power delivery right through the rev range. Similar power to a lightly modded RS.
you have fitted a duel range gear box ?

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:19 pm

AndrewT wrote:Regarding having to beef the clutch due to using a push type, perhaps the dual range box could be transplanted into a turbo casing to take advantage of a turbo pull clutch.
You could use left side gearbox off from turbo, and dual range right side of the box which still has dual range section in it. Whereabouts the left side of the box has hydraulics for the clutch fork.
Cheers
AR
Subarus that I have/had:

d_generate
General Member

Post by d_generate » Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:25 am

AlpineRaven wrote:You could use left side gearbox off from turbo, and dual range right side of the box which still has dual range section in it. Whereabouts the left side of the box has hydraulics for the clutch fork.
Cheers
AR
You sure this is possible? could save me a lot of pissing around as my box has to be split to fit the LSD front diff & 4.1 crown wheel & pinion .......you watching gull?:twisted:
98 Libbo with V3 STI running gear. 13.0 @ 105mph with CAI & 3" Zorst:mrgreen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKrsF-2JS3M :twisted:

seagull

Post by seagull » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:09 am

yes sir I am

Outback bloke

Post by Outback bloke » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:26 am

It is not possible to make a dual range out of a turbo case or any combination. The housing for the clutch fork is on both sides of the case in the turbo box. It is not possible to work it any other way. The low range gear set will not fit in to the turbo case even with machining. We have had the two boxes open, side by side and gone through all the variables. It is simply not possible to do it.

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:24 am

d_generate wrote:You sure this is possible? could save me a lot of pissing around as my box has to be split to fit the LSD front diff & 4.1 crown wheel & pinion .......you watching gull?:twisted:
Outback bloke wrote:It is not possible to make a dual range out of a turbo case or any combination. The housing for the clutch fork is on both sides of the case in the turbo box. It is not possible to work it any other way. The low range gear set will not fit in to the turbo case even with machining. We have had the two boxes open, side by side and gone through all the variables. It is simply not possible to do it.
I realised that you can't do that, my apologies about that, it would've been good if you could... the problem was the low range/selector section that can't be done (well it could if you modify and mill out etc etc)
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:

legacytt

H6 Manual

Post by legacytt » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:47 am

G'day Seagul, yes I have a dual range in mine not a turbo box. Works well. As to the question of which models, Just the standard H6 rather than the limited, so they have cloth interior and no sunroof. You can pick them as the one with VDC have a on/off switch for the VDC on the consiole near the auto shifter. You can do the conversion to the limited ones, but your ABS will no longer work correctly as it interacts with the VDCand the auto to control the car. Eeryting in mine works as intended including the cruise, I just have a permanent check engine light untill we can shut off the codes for the auto. The Gen 3's will display the check engine light permanently while a code is till stored even if it isn't active. We reset the ecu but the code reappeared shortly after.

d_generate
General Member

Post by d_generate » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:35 am

outback bloke wrote:it is not possible to make a dual range out of a turbo case or any combination. The housing for the clutch fork is on both sides of the case in the turbo box. It is not possible to work it any other way. The low range gear set will not fit in to the turbo case even with machining. We have had the two boxes open, side by side and gone through all the variables. It is simply not possible to do it.
bugger!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
98 Libbo with V3 STI running gear. 13.0 @ 105mph with CAI & 3" Zorst:mrgreen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKrsF-2JS3M :twisted:

seagull

Post by seagull » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:06 am

legacytt wrote:G'day Seagul, yes I have a dual range in mine not a turbo box. Works well. As to the question of which models, Just the standard H6 rather than the limited, so they have cloth interior and no sunroof. You can pick them as the one with VDC have a on/off switch for the VDC on the consiole near the auto shifter. You can do the conversion to the limited ones, but your ABS will no longer work correctly as it interacts with the VDCand the auto to control the car. Eeryting in mine works as intended including the cruise, I just have a permanent check engine light untill we can shut off the codes for the auto. The Gen 3's will display the check engine light permanently while a code is till stored even if it isn't active. We reset the ecu but the code reappeared shortly after.
Thanks mate, I had a H6 from new as my company car but now have sold it on. Todate the best car I have ever owned, mine was the same as yours.

I have a mate in Perth that has a H6 and wants to go the 5 speed duel range & is looking to talk to some one about it and possably going for a drive. There was a guy in Perth that did this but my phone died and I lost the contact number.

In short I am thinking the 3.9 ratio box may be to tall to run slightly larger than stock H6 rubber. So I am thinking the best way is to change the crown wheel & pinon over in the duel range box to a 4.11 or 4.44 ratio. Tom is wanting to do the same he has a 4.11 gear box , however Toms is in a turbo aplication .

I have mate who will be able to get around the electrical issues .

Is there any chance you can Pm me your mobile number so I can pass it on to Sam , he will give you a call and ask a few questions.

cheers seagull

legacytt

H6 Manual

Post by legacytt » Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:13 am

Will Pm the number, happy to talk to him about it. I think the RX dual range boxes are allready 4.11 and are geared reasonably short from 1 to 4 and mine shows just under 3000rpm at 110 so they should be Ok with bigger tyres. Just to add to the info on this, it is unlikley that this will be possible with the Gen 4 as the electirc are more complicated and the engine/gb work together. I think if you want a manual Gen 4 outback you would need to transplant wiring/ecu from a 3.0rb to get it all working correctly

Return to “Engine, Gearbox and Diff”