EA81T thermostat

Get the most out of your Engine / Gearbox with these handy hints ...
TW83

EA81T thermostat

Post by TW83 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:41 pm

Hi,

the thermostat housing on my EA81T has an electrical connection on it that makes me think it should be ECU controlled but it isn't working. Does anyone know how it is meant to work or have a wiring diagram ?

MY_STI

Post by MY_STI » Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:27 pm

Square vertical 2 pin connector?

Haven't played with an ea(t) for a while but pretty sure that its for the idle air control system. Its jsut mounted ontop of the thermostat housing to heat the air.

82t's have a similar setup so check out info on this motor.
'97 Outback - almost back to grandma spec operating condition.
"A day is never more than what you make of it."

discopotato03

Post by discopotato03 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:17 pm

Sometimes those things are powered up off the fuel pump relay so that they only have a power feed with the ignition on and the fuel pump running .

These and the other variety of cold start idle air bypass valves are there to be open and feed extra air to the engine at cold start - to overcome cold oil drag etc .

Two things warm them up (gradually cause them to close the internal air valve) . Firstly the current supplied when the engine is running and secondly the water heating up inside the thermostat housing .

The reason its on a place that conducts coolant heat is because the heat keeps the valve shut if the engine is shut down and restarted whilst hot or warm . Don't need the extra air bypassing the throttle if the water and oil is not cold .

I'd give it a local earth and switched power from the FPR - fused of course close to the FPR .

My opinions only , cheers A .

stinky

Post by stinky » Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:32 pm

mate I can't remember the reasoning behind it, but I'm pretty sure it's not necessary to be plugged in.
'91 brumby, EJ-Turbo with VOSChip, 2" lift, 15" superlites, Dual Range AWD.

'93 Subaru Legacy, 2.2 auto, automatic seatbelts, LHD.

TW83

Post by TW83 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:41 pm

Hey, how's it going ?

Love the ute (except for the seat - its gotta go!).

I have pushed the castor out and given it a bit of toe out and all the wobbles have gone. Its got a misfire that I think is plug leads or coil.

Is there actually a thermostat fitted ?

Return to “Engine, Gearbox and Diff”