dual range out off EA82 into a EJ22 box D/R

Get the most out of your Engine / Gearbox with these handy hints ...
kiwi_subaru

dual range out off EA82 into a EJ22 box D/R

Post by kiwi_subaru » Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:34 pm

Can I swap the dual range gears from my EA82 non turbo 1.59 to a EJ22 gearbox which has the 1.19 low range?
I rather be 4wding in my Subaru buggy MY body with 600mm cut out. EA82T dual range (1.59/1 ) twin hand brakes, welded rear diff, 12.5 wide atv tyres.

Phizinza
General Member

Post by Phizinza » Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:31 pm

Yes, but you need to grind some casing. And its also best to weld onto the shifter arm a detent locator so the box doesn't fall out of low range and possibly let the synchro fall apart causing potential complete gearbox failure.
Owned - 89 Brumby, 83 Wagon, 83 Leone 4WD Sedan, 83 Touring Wagon, 99 Outback
Own - 87 Brumby, 93 Liberty, 09 Forester
Offroading Subarus Facebook Page

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:13 pm

If you want to use the EA internals in the EJ casing it can be done - this will give you permenant 2wd with engagable 4wd Hi/Lo range as you get in the L series in standard trim. I'm looking at this for my EJ conversion to avoid using an adaptor plate.

If you want just the L series 1.59 low range in the EJ dual range AWD gearbox (with its standard 1.19 low range) then follow what Phiz said above...

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Brumby Boy

Post by Brumby Boy » Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:16 pm

Is it also possible to use the electric pick up out of a late soob instead of the cable when doing this mod as im planing to put autometer guages in my brumby instead of the liberty cluster?
Long live the 1990 Subaru Brumby 2" lifted and soon to be mig locked
RIP 1992 Brumby

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2507954
http://www.myspace.com/brumby_boy

few self-respecting ricers would spend the time to modify a Daewoo.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:18 pm

Brumby Boy wrote:Is it also possible to use the electric pick up out of a late soob instead of the cable when doing this mod as im planing to put autometer guages in my brumby instead of the liberty cluster?
Yeah I've heard of this being done when they retain the donor vehicle's dash in an EJ engine and gearbox conversion so it shouldn't be a problem for you to do this.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Subafury

Post by Subafury » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:09 pm

nothing wrong with an ea gearbox and adapter plate. i havent blown a box yet.

Phizinza
General Member

Post by Phizinza » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:56 am

No, the adapter plates work well and the clutches are the same spline and size as the EJ ones so you could just get a heavier pressure plate and Liberty/WRX friction plate for strength. The gears in the box are the same size as the newer EJ's so the only weakness is the 4WD gears which seem strong and not many have had problems.

The only reason I made my EJ/FT4WD/EA box was because its was easier putting the 1.59 and FT4WD parts in the EJ casing then spending the money or making the flywheel and adapter plate.

Not sure about the speedo, never seen a box with an electronic one.

If you want AWD with better low range however, then there is good reason to use the 1.59 in the EJ box. And if you want an EJbox with PT and you have all the parts and knowledge then theres good reason to do what Ben said.

kiwi_subaru

Post by kiwi_subaru » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:31 pm

yes thats why i want to do it too. as phizinza said. The only reason I made my EJ/FT4WD/EA box was because its was easier putting the 1.59 and FT4WD parts in the EJ casing then spending the money or making the flywheel and adapter plate. I also have both gearboxs doing nothing in my garage. This box is only going to be in my ej22 4wd buggy. up grading my MY buggy.
I rather be 4wding in my Subaru buggy MY body with 600mm cut out. EA82T dual range (1.59/1 ) twin hand brakes, welded rear diff, 12.5 wide atv tyres.

MY_STI

Post by MY_STI » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:51 am

Just an extra note, if you want to put the 1.592 low range into a liberty box with the liberty internals you will need to lathe down the low range selector ring about 2mm. The liberty crown wheel is physically slightly larger than its ea predecessor.

Third the easier/cheaper using the ej front housings, then you can pick up a decent clutch as well.
'97 Outback - almost back to grandma spec operating condition.
"A day is never more than what you make of it."

Phizinza
General Member

Post by Phizinza » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:41 am

Don't mistake it being easy changing the casing. You need to set the preload and backlash right when changing diff, or changing the casing around the diff. I've only done both my gearbox swapies by feel, which has seemed to work great. But if you do it by the book you'll need to find/buy/make the tools required or take it to a shop who can do it.
Its not just a bolt together job. But once you've done it a couple of times its easy enough.

Return to “Engine, Gearbox and Diff”