knock knock

Get the most out of your Engine / Gearbox with these handy hints ...
SubaRute

knock knock

Post by SubaRute » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:29 am

as stated,its a 97 model lib engine,short skirt pistons(has the piston slap thing happening) also has a knock on startup this is very obvious as there is no oil at the top,when its running it still has the knock but not as loud as when first started,ive driven the car here and there but no longer want to drive it as it might go BANG? dont get me wrong i can still drive it but just in case? i wont.driving the car and the putting it under load it tends to knock as well? this engine also has solid lifters could there have been something gone wrong in this area? it is not the BIG END because the thing would have blowen 300km ago.

your guess is a s good as mine?

cheers leon

Radeon

Post by Radeon » Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:46 pm

Hey there. It could still be the big end. I used to have a 94 twin turbo liberty that had very noticable bearing knock, but only on startup after it had been sitting over night or for a couple of hours. Once running it was fine and I drove it round every now and then without any problems.
Iv heard cases of ppl having this happning, and the time it takes to completely bugger out can range greatly, even up to months. Without being there to experience the noise for myself I cant be sure but i wudnt rule out a big end bearing as a possibility.
Use what you can, make what you cant. Subarus Rock!!

Return to “Engine, Gearbox and Diff”