Front end whirring noise....help....

Having issues with your ride ? Ask away in here ...
Frosty2086

Front end whirring noise....help....

Post by Frosty2086 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:34 am

Ok,

Noticed a funny noise the other day comi9ng from the beast, this is what the symtoms are and what i have done, in my ignorance to try and fix them....

Symtoms..

Whirring noise from under the hood, can feel vibrations in the accelarator and brake and clutch through my foot. Sounds something akin to a wheel bearing kinda noise.... jacked car and felt for wheel bearing movement, seem fine...

Stops making noise going around a sharpish corner...

doesnt make it at low speeds gets louder the faster you go....

no noise on hard lock going slow....heard CV clack before from other cars..not a CV clack....

Still makes noise whith thermo fan off, and engine off rolling in neutral...

my dyagnosis (sp)

this was pointing to drive train, either front diff or axles...

felt the double off set joints and they are noticably sloppy, so thinking this was my issue replace both front axles, were getting near time anyways...

thus far have only replaced one, however their still seems to be simlar slop in the double offset joint...is this normal? would it cause such problems?

failing this i feel it maybe the front diff, cant feel any movement in the pto with the front axle off, has end float but thats usual i assume...

if this is the case (front diff) what am i looking at? cheapest and best option to rebuild gearbox? get a rebuilt one or get some one to strip it out and recondition it, i have neither the proper tools or skills to do a gear box so thats out of the question......any thoughs arew very welcome...

cheers

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:22 pm

Frosty2086 wrote:Ok,

Noticed a funny noise the other day coming from the beast, this is what the symtoms are and what i have done, in my ignorance to try and fix them....

Symtoms..

Whirring noise from under the hood
Um.... the engine???

Ok, serious now.

Go for a drive and then check the tranny oil. Look closely at the oil to see if it has small particles of metal in it, kinda like glitter paste or metallic paint.

I had a whirring noise from my rear diff and thats what i found. The oil was almost silver
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:16 pm

Also if you don't have the little tabs that hold in the Diff bearing cups they will move - thus moving the diff closer to or further from the pinion gear. This would just be a case of trying to re-align it. Can be a fun job...

Bennie

PS suparoo's one sounds like the go first ;)
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

SuBaRiNo

Post by SuBaRiNo » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:32 pm

I think if it was Diff or CV related it would only make the noise under load and not when your coasting along in neutral. At this stage i would be leaning towards the wheel bearings. Not sure what car you have but it's a fairly common problem in MY and L series (espcially if you have been through some mud).

With everything i have gone through with my car the Wheel bearings are the only thing i can think of that maintained the noise with the running gear not under load. It also sorta makes sence tha then you turn a corner like you say the weight is lifted off the problem bearing stopping the noise.

Even Dry CV joints seam to stop vibrating under no Load... as did the Gear box i just blew. No load = No noise.

It may turn out to be a waste of time but i would change your front wheel bearings WELL before you changed the gear box. Also experiment to see if the noise changes when your in 4wd. (if you have 4wd)

Dave
EJ conversion wiring harness cut downs available. Please PM or email (davem2000@hotmail.com) for details.

Suby Wan Kenobi
General Member

Post by Suby Wan Kenobi » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:46 pm

I would put the problem as one of the front wheel bearings possibly an outer
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The long road ahead

Frosty2086

Thanking you..

Post by Frosty2086 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:28 am

Alright i have to say that this forum is briliant and thank you, i was kinda overlooking the obvious and going for the worst case scenario with the diff, last night i pulled out a front wheel bearing on the other side, and lo and behold its well shagged out!!! So thanking you, and just so you know yes it was the front outer bearing...good work guys....one very happy person today, might have to spend that money on new suspension now... :)

cheers

Suby Wan Kenobi
General Member

Post by Suby Wan Kenobi » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:40 am

No worries thats what we are here for.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The long road ahead

BrennyV

Post by BrennyV » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:48 am

now that will be $199buks ;)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
VER7 STI (FOR SALE) & RIP EJ22 AWD LEONE
PIX @ www.webshots.com/user/4muff

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
Hunter S. Thompson
http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quote ... 02861.html

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:46 pm

BrennyV wrote:now that will be $199buks ;)
And where was your sharing of information??? Thats it brenny, take all the credit!

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

BrennyV

Post by BrennyV » Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:03 pm

im allan bonds son? didnt you know :P
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
VER7 STI (FOR SALE) & RIP EJ22 AWD LEONE
PIX @ www.webshots.com/user/4muff

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
Hunter S. Thompson
http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quote ... 02861.html

discopotato03

Post by discopotato03 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:46 pm

Vibration increasing with speed , hmmm - not a rear uni joint or tailshaft center bearing or a bent shaft if its 4WD ?

Cheers A .

Return to “Trouble Shooting”