200 too much?

Having issues with your ride ? Ask away in here ...
Sub_llama25

200 too much?

Post by Sub_llama25 » Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:43 pm

ok so i wanted to buy a forester and i found a 97 model for ... i think 9.8k. the only delema im suffering with is that it has hit over 280,000kms. So the question that remains if this car is going to start falling apart soon or if it will still hold strong.

Thanks alot

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:29 pm

depends on many things
- has it had all its servicing (should be nearly due for it's third timing belt change)
- has it had mostly highway driving or lots of stop/start driving
- has it been thrashed
- has it been run on premium fuel
- has it been offroad
- has it had things like wheel bearings and CVs replaced already? if not they will probably go soon with those kms

Suby's can last ages (better on average than a fair few other brands) but invariably need lots of parts replaced along the way, a car is a wearable item.

Matatak

Post by Matatak » Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:54 pm

i think thats a bit to high for it pricewise but i dont no much about Forrestors
if its all good exterior interior etc it wuld be ok i guess provided its been looked after liek AndrewT says.
Wagon is no longer....:(

The Subaru Wacky Workshop
-All About the WA Boys :D

Ben

Post by Ben » Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:21 am

Too much money, there's one on digiads 98 with 230k for $8650...

Please watch before posting!

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:12 am

My view - If it has good service records & history & highway kms then It'll be a good car, for my Liberty's story, its now 256,000kms I got her for $7000 a year ago due high kms, was about 235,000kms that time. CVs were fine as tested them, was one lady owner who travelled in country & moved to city, has been off road a few times but minimal damages under the Liberty. When I got it, Engine was suffering with all types of leaks (Power Steering, Engine oil leaks) but all been repaired. Still going strong, my previous Liberty before I got it has been thrashed (I didnt know until I got it and regretted it that I bought it!) and had low compression hence it was gutless on hot days.
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:
1995 Liberty "Rallye" - 5MT AWD, LSD - *written off 25/8/06 in towing accident.
1996 Liberty Wagon - SkiFX AWD 5MT D/R, Lifted.. Outback Sway Bar, 1.59:1 Low Gearing see thread: 1.59:1 in EJ Box Page
Sold at 385,000kms in July 2011.
2007 Liberty BP Wagon, 2.5i automatic

Subyroo

Post by Subyroo » Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:33 pm

Sub_llama25 wrote:ok so i wanted to buy a forester and i found a 97 model for ... i think 9.8k. the only delema im suffering with is that it has hit over 280,000kms. So the question that remains if this car is going to start falling apart soon or if it will still hold strong.

Thanks alot
Compare the prices here with the asking price, remember the top price in that link is for a bloody well maintained and cared for vehicle, bottom price is for crap condition and don't forget to bargain, people always have a fall back price.

If he doesn't budge then look elsewhere, IMO $9,800 is too high, especially when $9,500 is top Private sale price, offer him $8,000 and see how he reacts and take it from there.
Peter

Bumpty
General Member

Post by Bumpty » Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:19 pm

^ ah just about to point redbook out, until i clicked the link. I'd think the price is very high, but if you think it could be worth it for a lesser price, put it over the pits, that could tell you what you want/need to hear.

$150 for me to put my car over the pits, compare that to what could go wrong in the future... AndrewsT's examples: Timing belt, wheel bearings, CVs?

*EDIT - If they say no to putting it over the pits... Walk away haha

Return to “Trouble Shooting”