L Series Cooling Problem - Yes Another One

Having issues with your ride ? Ask away in here ...
GTlegs

L Series Cooling Problem - Yes Another One

Post by GTlegs » Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:06 pm

Here is the deal.

A few months back my cooling fluid has started to collect in the expansion bottle, overflowing it after some driving, even with the cap on.

After checking for coolant leaks, and finding none, I am scratching my head. It seems that AIR is somehow getting into the cooling system, thus displacing the fluid into the expansion bottle.

The system is under pressure OK, as when I open it hot, fluid shoots out, and when I open it cold air gets sucked in/out.

Fluid is definitely running out through the expansion bottle (I think), as I have to keep topping it up.

Here is the clincher: this seems to happen mostly after prolonged driving at over 80 km/h (I think).

Sorry about the long post, but I am getting desparate.

HELP?
'Another quality whore post from GTlegs Inc. Call 1900 POSTHO for all your forum reply supplies.'

BaronVonChickenPants
General Member

Post by BaronVonChickenPants » Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:32 pm

Sounds to me like you're radiator cap isn't allowing water back into the radiator, it shouldn't suck air in as you open it when cold.

Try a new/different cap.

Jordan.
To become old and wise, first you must survive being young and dumb.

smoov

Post by smoov » Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:29 pm

have you had the rad pressure tested?
1998 Subaru Legacy GTB

GTlegs

Post by GTlegs » Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:17 pm

Here is further info.

The water burbles in the expansion tank when I turn the engine off. Dont know whether this is air or coolant.

Also, I dont think its the head gasket as there is no coolant in the oil and no oil in the coolant.

Thanks guys, but still, HELP?
'Another quality whore post from GTlegs Inc. Call 1900 POSTHO for all your forum reply supplies.'

stamp_licker
General Member

Post by stamp_licker » Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:33 pm

same prob in my ea82T did a lot of test including rad guys checking it all and giving it the thumbs up but the prob persisted.i've since pulled the motor down and am told seperated head gasket.this didn't show in die testing for leaking gasket and compression test.also i put the old motor back in running same rad and alls good.My monies on the head gasket.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]aka the_postie
Building a hardcore postie:D

GTlegs

Post by GTlegs » Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:28 pm

Bump :(

Fatz
General Member

Post by Fatz » Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:34 pm

my ex L touring wagon did the exact same thing, i replaced radiator, water pump(that needed replacing) hoses, checked head gaskets, all the usual symptoms. nothin. I found later that sometimes my thermo fans wasnt working, i fixed that and it seemed to fix the prob a little, still happened tho. when ever i turned the car off, it was like it was sucking up a bong(was later named the bong car).
I never fond out what was actually wrong with it.
Sorry i was no help. I did find that i had to keep on topping up the water:S
Doesnt sound too good.
Cheers

Gremlins

Post by Gremlins » Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:05 pm

Sounds like head gasket(s) have gone. Fortunately with the EA82T mostly the leak is between the cylinder and water jacket so there is no mixing of oil and water, instead the compression pressure leaks into the water jacket (thus the air in the cooling system), and coolant may also get into the top of the cylinder when the engine is off. Other tell tale signs that I noticed with mine when the head gasket went were misfiring at start up (usually this only occurred though after a few days standing and not if the car was driven everyday) and the coolant in the expansion bottle didn't smell right, sort of a bit like a mix of petrol, exhaust fumes and coolant.

Return to “Trouble Shooting”