Missing? on acceleration

Having issues with your ride ? Ask away in here ...
SubyNuby

Missing? on acceleration

Post by SubyNuby » Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:45 pm

Hey guys,

My MY04 Impreza RS has started miss firing (I think) under acceleration. It does it at multiple rev ranges but seems to be when under 50 - 100% throttle.

It was going perfectly until I just recently put it in the shop to have the the rocker cover gaskets done. I nearly feel over when I got the bill. Owning old Holdens in my past it was a DIY $20 job. You can only imagine how butt hurt I felt after seeing the $650 bill. Did I get ripped off?

Anyway the mechanic said the spark plug cap on cylinder one was soaked in oil and mightn't go back in or keep popping off but he seemed to get it back together. I have check this numerous times and it still seems to have a firm connection.

The only parts that I can think of being damaged during this job would be leads or plugs. I hear leads are dear, I haven't looked into this yet.

I'm just hoping someone could give me a trail of investigation into this issue. Preferably cheapest to more expensive.

Kris

El_Freddo
Master Member

Re: Missing? on acceleration

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:25 pm

G’day Kris,

Seems like a lead may have been internally damaged when they were removed. This could simply be due to age.

Try running the engine and revving it at night in the dark, what you’re looking for is your leads flashing. If you see any flashes that lead is shot/damaged. If you see them pulsating with each spark it’s time to replace them.

The other thing to check is oil in the bottom of the spark plug tubes. There could be some residual oil left in the bottom of them. Two ways to clean them out - 1) with thin rags soaking up the oil or 2) remove the spark plugs and let the oil drain into the cylinders to burn it off with the next restart.

All the best with it.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Return to “Trouble Shooting”