Updating WhereIs navigation CD

Having issues with your ride ? Ask away in here ...
GrahameR

Updating WhereIs navigation CD

Post by GrahameR » Thu Mar 10, 2022 4:33 pm

Hi, any ideas on how to upgrade this? It is no longer available for my 2007 Liberty. Besides it would've cost about $300 - which I reckon is more than a rip off.

TIA
Grahame

Bantum
General Member

Re: Updating WhereIs navigation CD

Post by Bantum » Sun Mar 13, 2022 3:48 pm

Sorry you might be out of luck there - as its no longer supported ... :/

Could try this site :http://www.navigationau.com/subaru-navi ... disks.html

If that don't work - To get round it looks like you'll need to 'upgrade' the actual head unit :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjbIRPShU6U

Cheers, Bantum ...

GrahameR

Post by GrahameR » Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:54 pm

Hi Bantum, thanks for the info. But getting the new head unit is just one issue. Importing something is one issue. Cost is another. And above all that is being sure it is 100% correct.

(NB: as you'll see, I'm not too sure on the terminology. Sorry.)

Coincidentally today I was at SuperCheap and also revisited a car audio workshop.

Let me backtrack. When I bought the car the phone would play perfectly - via a Grom USB unit hooked to a Bluetooth box - all connected via the CD button. The phone connected automatically. All good. However after not long it stopped working, and I'm not sure if it is one of those two boxes, the cabling, power supply, CD button or what.

So originally I went to a reliable car audio workshop. The helpful guy said to replace the fascia with an original was ~AUD1180. Then a radio ~AUD200 and ~AUD150 for fitting. So all up about AUD1700 with bits and pieces. Ouch! No thanks especially considering the car is 15 years old.

A friend thought he'd solved a similar(?) problem by going to SuperCheap. There I found a helpful salesman who coincidentally has a similar but not identical Liberty. He thought he could sort it out. He got all the gear ('radio', fascia, brackets etc) - for a bit more than AUD700! And recommended a techo to fit it (AUD100+) Again, ouch ... but a smaller ouch.

HIs mobile audio tech came to my home only to conclude the fascia wouldn't fit. Besides the radio (or head unit or whatever) would have fitted where my display is. So I'd have had one 'radio' where the display is and the remains of a radio down in the original position. Nope. SuperCheap cheerfully refunded me the money. S/C also contacted the mobile techo but he had nothing else to suggest except some other even more mega bucks solution.

Desperately I go back to the audio workshop for any other solution. It seems the best is they will go through the Grom/Bluetooth set up and see if they can fix it. But it's not really something they are too familiar with. So now it's fingers crossed.

Of course at the absolute worst if there was a 3.5mm jack I could use a cable to connect my phone. Old fashioned and cumbersome maybe but it would work (as it did in my previous car).

So unless someone else here has some better suggestions ... I'm now grasping at straws.

Cheers.

PS: on the upgrade to the maps - as I mentioned the relevant disk is a complete ripoff at AUD300. But it's no longer available - hence the post looking for some alternative. Bootleg? Alternative map system? ?????

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Mar 19, 2022 9:23 am

These are the modern day issues cars are going to face that will make them obsolete, even though the essential items in the mechanicals of the vehicle work just fine.

We’re so tech dependent these days that people are willing to move on/throw away an otherwise perfectly good car!

None of my other vehicle have connectivity issues/map issues etc because they’ve never had them!

All the best with finding a solution. Maybe old school is the way to go.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

GrahameR

Post by GrahameR » Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:41 pm

Thanks El Freddo. Agree. Also had to upgrade phone and laptop for same reason - worked perfectly but couldn't update OS.

This is my first car with much technology. I'm also having an issue getting the phone to play on the radio. At least my old 2001 Corolla had a 3.5mm jack - cumbersome and low tech but reliable.

Cheers.

Return to “Trouble Shooting”