Random park lights on all the time

Having issues with your ride ? Ask away in here ...
SubyNuby

Random park lights on all the time

Post by SubyNuby » Sat Feb 05, 2022 8:43 am

Hey Guys,

I've got an issue with my 2003 Impreza RS. Never had it happen in any other car before so not sure if it's a Suby thing or not.

A couple of days ago I noticed my passenger side tail light was on, car not running and locked. I tried all the light switches etc, car running and not, nothing, it wouldn't turn of. So I just pulled the bulb, fixed :biggrin: . Then the next day the driver tail light is on, same diagnostic procedure, same 'fix' :lol: . Later that afternoon, driver's front park light and the rear number plate lights are on :roll: .

I have looked at the wiring at the back of the tail lights and saw red, white and blue electrical tape about 60mm from the bulb socket, is this factory/normal? It is neat though. Also there are three wires that come out of the tail park light bulb socket and the white wire with black trace (on both sides of car) are cut and taped. Is this normal?

Any advice to fix/diagnose will be much appreciated. Also I'm a Chippy so if it is electrical diagnostic advice please explain as if I'm dumb :biggrin: .

Cheers
Kris

El_Freddo
Master Member

Re: Random park lights on all the time

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Feb 06, 2022 8:47 am

G’day Kris,

There’s a switch on top of the steering column for the the Parker lights. They should all come on together so I don’t know why you’re finding them on one at a time as you’ve described.

As for the wiring, without seeing it, we’d be shooting in the dark trying to sort it out. It doesn’t sound factory to me. It could be a trailer wiring kit that was removed at some point.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

SubyNuby

Post by SubyNuby » Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:27 pm

Thanks Bennie,

It was a combo of the switch (thank you) and bulbs blowing.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:14 pm

Glad it was an easy fix!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Return to “Trouble Shooting”