NEW CV'S GRINDING

Having issues with your ride ? Ask away in here ...
Gryphyn81

NEW CV'S GRINDING

Post by Gryphyn81 » Mon May 24, 2021 9:58 am

Noticed for a while on my 1999 Subaru Liberty RS 2.5 (209000)kms that when I would brake my steering wheel would shudder quite a bit and oil from my split CV boot was splattered around the engine bay.
This prompted me to replace the front left and front right CV"S.
basic job in my opinion, which was done in a few hours.
Old ones out new ones in, no shudder in the steering wheel when braking.
Now it feels sluggish to get moving either in the transmission/engine or a seizing in the new CV shafts.

Has anyone had the same issues with new CV shafts after replacing them ?
If so what did you do to fix this or have this fixed.

Chees.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Re: NEW CV'S GRINDING

Post by El_Freddo » Mon May 24, 2021 9:14 pm

G’day Gryphyn,

I’ve not had this issue before. Are the new CVs actually grinding or making a grinding noise as your title suggests? Or is it just that your RX Liberty now feels sluggish since replacing the front CV/driveshafts?

If they’re aftermarket shafts they won’t last as long as the factory shafts. Factory shafts have a green coloured inner CV “cup”. These are well worth the effort of rebooting.

Going back to the sluggish feel - is this your head playing games with you because you did some work on your vehicle or is it actually a real issue? It could be you being more critical of your vehicle since the work you completed. I know that I generally am!

If a real issue, double check ANY work completed, especially anything engine related. If you disconnected the O2 sensor make sure this is properly connected. Also ensure the front brakes aren’t dragging.

New shafts shouldn’t slow the vehicle down.

Also, if your steering wheel “chatters” under brakes and gets worse with harder braking, you have a worn steering knuckle and will require a replacement steering extension. If needing a new one, make sure you get a Liberty unit as the Outback ones are longer due to their factory lift kit.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Return to “Trouble Shooting”