Legacy 2004 3.0 5eat cuts off at 4500RPM error P1026

Having issues with your ride ? Ask away in here ...
Shaohao

Legacy 2004 3.0 5eat cuts off at 4500RPM error P1026

Post by Shaohao » Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:12 pm

Confused by the traction light, I assumed the problem might be the VDC system. The Cruise and check Engine lights were not on.

Symptoms:
RPM cut off above 4500rpm. In every gear. Below 4500rpm it accelerates smoothly without any intermittency/jerking. No difference if it's on gas or petrol. No difference if cold or warm.

Probable Cause:
After connecting to the computer it detected error P1026
VARIABLE VALVE LIFT OIL PRESSURE SWITCH RH

Action taken:

I cleared the error. After starting 10 seconds no lights on the dashboard, the engine rattled, revs dropped and traction control off light came on. The error came back on the computer.

I have disconnected sensor plugs and cleaned them with a contact cleaner. No change. The cables seem to be intact.
Plastic from the sensor plug socket moves slightly right-left.

It was too cold for the ohmmeter test today, but I will check it tomorrow.

I have a second engine with good sensors, which I will be replacing, but I prefer to ask if the problem may lie in e.g. carbon deposits or old oil, or in another faulty engine component that causes the sensor to malfunction.

The fuel sensor is silent and does not make any corrections.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Re: Legacy 2004 3.0 5eat cuts off at 4500RPM error P1026

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:19 pm

G’day Shaohao,

Are there any external oil lines to the variable valve sensor? I’ve read that the H4 EJs have something like this, particularly the turbo models.

What happens with these engines is there’s an oil strainer mesh somewhere in this setup that can become blocked - taking out the turbo bearings. The trick is to remove these strainers and do regular oil changes.

This might apply to your situation, more than likely not though from the little I know of the H6 engines.

The sensor being loose, or able to be wiggled from another part of itself is generally a good indication that it’s cactus. Hopefully that spare unit on the other engine does the trick to solve the issue.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Return to “Trouble Shooting”