Haven't been on for a while but gee its quiet right now???

Having issues with your ride ? Ask away in here ...
hughybabes

Haven't been on for a while but gee its quiet right now???

Post by hughybabes » Thu Nov 10, 2005 6:53 pm

And a big cheerio to all you ausubi people who came through my ea81 twinport rebuild with me. Not many players on the site right now; hope you are still all out there !!.....somewhere. Had a 2000 km oil change and valve adjustment today. Talking about timing specs when i picked it up, and apparently it wouldnt run with distributor in usual position;had to put it in a tooth or two out. So it is being "tuned" on how it performs on the road; ......which is very acceptable.!! Put my timing light on it when I got home; lines up with a round hole in the fly wheel....no scale visible. With my "new' electronic dissy, thanks to TasBrat, who missed out on his bottles of Red last month .....I now cant use my other tuning instrument to adjust dwell angle. ( What happened to our Sunday Lunch engagement???)

So....what am I on about ????

I remember The Baron mentioning a similar problem but cant remember the outcome...enjoying your current exploits, Jordan, keep up the good work. Can you remember anything, Tassy Bratty Matty about whether your dissy had any unusual tendencies...like did it enjoy spinning in both directions or just like being out of step with the main stream ???.
Am I forever destined to "tuning by ear" ???
What happens if I go deaf ???
Hi there also to Redskin, Jono and Wraith and RudyProject and numerous others who helped in the rebirthing process.
Steve
1984 sportswagon
ea81 twin carburettor motor.
"d-shaped" siamese exhaust port heads.
mild low torque cam. electronic dizzy.
2.5 inch engine pipes; 2.25 tail pipe; rear sports muffler.

BaronVonChickenPants
General Member

Post by BaronVonChickenPants » Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:35 pm

Gday Steve,
Good to hear it's all going well.

Theres a thread in the performance section about options for older subys, if you don't mind could you post some info about dual carbs in there, thanks.

As for the dizzy, I fitted the EA81 drive cog to an EA82 dizzy, I found that the it was out by a tooth or 2, but once I sorted that out it all works perfect, timing marks line up and everything.

My only theory is something that drives the dizzy isn't lined up right.

Jordan.
To become old and wise, first you must survive being young and dumb.

redskin

Post by redskin » Sat Nov 12, 2005 5:33 pm

Gidday Steve, been pretty busy myself so not much spare time to chat, too tired after work as it's the business time of year at tafe as l'm sure you remember from your teaching days. Only three weeks to go, yee-har!, then the students go away, (double yee-har), it's such a nice place to work when they're gone, they keep waking me up to ask stupid questions, l won't miss that.
Anyway my Brumby is about to hit the road again after a year in the shed and a s#%tload of money thrown at it, l am delivering it to be wired next week, then to get the cert, (formality, he's already approved the work but want's to hear it bark), and thats it unless l decide to do more, still got a 5 speed, intercooler and cold air induction to fit but will get it rego'd first as the rules for signatory engineers has just changed, it's going to get alot tougher for all of us to get these cars through so l need to hurry before they start to enforce them and will worry about these other things later.
So, glad to hear your car is running well, bit strange about the dizzy thing but it does explain the missing you were getting so l s'pose thats good, stay well.
Pete.

stinky

Post by stinky » Sat Nov 12, 2005 7:33 pm

cold air induction
Tell me more!?!?!?! What are you doing for cold air induction? I've just got a pod on mine and even with the intercooler the air temp gets to be 45+ in summer.

redskin

Post by redskin » Sun Nov 13, 2005 11:11 am

Hi Stinky, won't go into it now as l haven't had time to figure it all out or test my theories but it consists of a 3" pipe and a turbo air filter in place of the airbox, not quite sure where l will position it yet, either thru the inner guard or down thru the engine bay, will have to wait till the ute is returned from the exhaust shop, (this week l hope), but will let you know if it works in a new post, (sorry for the hijack Hughy), after it comes off the dyno.
What does concern me though is nobody has either picked up on this little sentence, or asked me to explain this,

as the rules for signatory engineers has just changed, it's going to get alot tougher for all of us to get these cars through so l need to hurry before they start to enforce them.

They were all called to Sydney last Friday, big changes are afoot and it concerns anybody that has engineered a car in the last 10 years or has lifted cars.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sun Nov 13, 2005 6:35 pm

Hey Steve,

Only 2000 kms ? Good to hear it is being tuned by 'seat-of-the-pants'

no special equipment required - just a road and a sober mind

cool air induction idea

years ago a journo wrote of a mini cooper that ran no speedo, uh huh, because it was ripped out to fit a big side draught carby so the thing sucked in cabin filtered air

now thinking...subaru induction could go that way too and run your air con nice and chilly :lol:

hughybabes

Post by hughybabes » Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:28 pm

No worries about the hijack, Pete. Good to hear what you are planning. Sounds good.
G'day, Jono; yeh only 2000 kms so far but with the weather getting better and a bit of confidence in the motor, will be heading way for longer weekend trips.
Volksbaru John reckons when the motor loosens up a bit, we may be able to move the distributor back so that timimg marks line up. Does this sound feasible??
Steve
1984 sportswagon
ea81 twin carburettor motor.
"d-shaped" siamese exhaust port heads.
mild low torque cam. electronic dizzy.
2.5 inch engine pipes; 2.25 tail pipe; rear sports muffler.

Return to “Trouble Shooting”