Residual pressure in brake lines?

Having issues with your ride ? Ask away in here ...
Silverbullet

Residual pressure in brake lines?

Post by Silverbullet » Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:35 am

Went to move the wagon the other week and since I've had the hand brake cables in and system full of fluid I've had the hand brake on all the time when I'm not working on it. But having released the hand brake the car was still stuck where it was! :confused: I could barely push it along where usually I can quite easily push the car out. I jacked it up so the front wheels were off the ground and found the brakes were still on (at least the front ones were) I thought maybe my hand brake cables/mech weren't releasing so I undid the cables from the caliper to no avail. Also undid the pin from the brake pedal in the car thinking that was pushing the piston in...eventually I cracked open one of the bleeders on the master cylinder and found there was some pressure in there which was holding the brakes on. Once released the wheels were free and easy again.

So what on earth could cause this sort of thing, where pressure stays in the brake system even with no input from the hand brake or pedal?

I thought it felt too easy when I put all the brake system back together on this car, everything went without a hitch and it was really easy. Wouldn't be surprised if I have to remove the master cylinder or something stupid now to fix this issue :evil:
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:26 pm

Nah I reckon that's normal. It'll be your hand brake initially locked on then the small about of surface rust on the discs creating the friction you're experiencing.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Return to “Trouble Shooting”