power issues on ea82

Having issues with your ride ? Ask away in here ...
pzs

power issues on ea82

Post by pzs » Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:01 am

I thought I'd share my experience of lack of power on ea82 auto.
I just thought these were a slug from new(they are). But I just replaced the fuel pump on this car only because I had a near new one on a manual that I parted out. The car ran ok but at hwy speeds but it took forever to get to 110km/hr.

I replaced the old for new.....and guess what... I got a car that goes OK (for a slug)....was a nice surprise chrissy present for me.

So if anyone is having issues with lack of power, and have changed all the obvious(filter, leads, plugs, coil, etc) think about the fuel pump. I didn't because it wasn't breaking down under load it just took some time to get to hwy speed.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:49 pm

Carby I'm guessing?

Our MPFI touring wagon was auto. It went alright for an auto but still not fantastic - at 110km/h you're pulling 4G rpm! At 100km/h you're on ~3500 rpm.

Good to hear you got a bit more from a new fuel pump, if the old one wasn't up to the job it may have been starving the carb at cruise speed. It might also be a good idea to do a trans fluid change as well as the diff oil change too.

The diff packed up in our auto so we converted to manual with the spare parts we were lucky enough to have laying around. Instant fuel economy increase :D

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:31 pm

4000 at 110 kph ?

Now, my GLTA sedan ...mpfi, turbo 4WD 3 speed auto had a 3.45 diff ratio up front. Weren't all 3 speed auto 4WDs that ratio in front diff ? If so, would not be 4000rpm at 110 kh ? Shirley ?

You can see why a near 4 litre engine cruising at 100kph @ 1600 ~1700 rpm gets good fuel economy - better than our half size and smaller donks spinning at least twice the number of revs!

PZS has discovered one of those two plus two equals five things about cars - and been brave enough to share :)

Is this car the same EA82T wagon you drove from Melbourne, wanted to deturbo it ?

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:45 pm

This 3spd 4wd auto was 3.9:1 diff ratio.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

pzs

Post by pzs » Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:28 pm

steptoe wrote:4000 at 110 kph ?

Now, my GLTA sedan ...mpfi, turbo 4WD 3 speed auto had a 3.45 diff ratio up front. Weren't all 3 speed auto 4WDs that ratio in front diff ? If so, would not be 4000rpm at 110 kh ? Shirley ?

You can see why a near 4 litre engine cruising at 100kph @ 1600 ~1700 rpm gets good fuel economy - better than our half size and smaller donks spinning at least twice the number of revs!

PZS has discovered one of those two plus two equals five things about cars - and been brave enough to share :)

Is this car the same EA82T wagon you drove from Melbourne, wanted to deturbo it ?
Turbo had awful big end knock...did,nt want to risk it for a Kimberly trip. Instead I parted it out and put the good stuff on my low km car.....rear disc, LSD rear end, 2 inch lift, 14 inch alloys an front and rear ally bars, rx seats. Since then I have fitted a snorkel, new socks and springs and complete set of front and rear bushes in suspension, and new wheel bearings all round I have the cams ground and will fitted them to a new set of heads and cam belts before trip. This hopefully will suit the auto better in sand, I'll fit these with a auto cooler mounted under the scoop pulled of the turbo car. The diff for the auto is 3.9, I have got to swap out the crown wheel and pinion with the manual 3.7 LSD. Lots to do yet, but will end up with a sub $5000 4x4 with nearly everything new. Cheap in my opinion compared to new car and associated depreciation

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:48 am

El_Freddo wrote:This 3spd 4wd auto was 3.9:1 diff ratio.

Cheers

Bennie
at the rear ? My 3.45 was the front diff, with 3.7 at the rear. Poop, 0.2 makes that much difference ?

Vortex75

Post by Vortex75 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:33 pm

I'm sitting on 2200 rpms doing 100 km in my 89 Vortex. 4wd turbo with a 4 speed auto, though the auto slips in to overdrive? when cruising so it's almost a 5 speed. I get around town doing 60kmh on 1600rpm.
Canny

Return to “Trouble Shooting”