problem with inlet manifold - weber change

Having issues with your ride ? Ask away in here ...
Brumbyowner

problem with inlet manifold - weber change

Post by Brumbyowner » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:46 pm

I have finally bit the bullet and started the weber replacement on my ea81. I have removed the inlet manifold and I have noticed two things, one is that the main water inlet pipe on the rear is rusted. Am I able to buy a new one of these or are they as rare as rocking horse sh*t!
Also there is a sensor near the start of that water inlet that needs replacing (I broke it). I am nor sure if I can repair it or need to get another manifold?

Can someone help me please!

Cheers

Stu :evil:

Subydoug

Post by Subydoug » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:08 pm

I have a spare manifold, post up some pics of what your chasing and Il check these ones out for you.

Doug

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:31 pm

If the water pipe you are talking about is the one that's pressed into the manifold, that could be hard to replace I've never been able to get it out. Would it be possible to cut the rusty end off and use a longer heater hose? I've done that before. If it's the one that passes under the manifold from the water pump to the heater inlet, they aren't really available new but it's possible to make one.

There are 2 sensors in the EA81 manifold, one on the thermostat housing (for the temperature gauge in the dash) which I'm pretty sure is available on eBay. The other one at the opposite end I'm not sure what it does but mine is disconnected and doesn't make any difference. They should both unscrew from the manifold but could be seized in or glued in with loctite.
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:40 am

the water pump to heater hose - metal pipe, should still be available new from Subaru ex Japan. got one three years ago about $80, or a hose builder shop would be able to replicate one for you if not do it yourself. And I have also chopped off the rusty end of the metal hose pressed into the underside of the inlet manifold and had good results. bastard to remove - end up butchering it in process

Brumbyowner

Post by Brumbyowner » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:37 pm

Thanks guys for the help, It is the metal pipe behind the manifold. I will try cutting it down a little and use the original hose. The water pump to heater hose pipe has the "T" piece for the smaller hose to the carby base. I am thinking of shortening the metal pipe to cut out the "T" piece and putting a longer hose on from the water pump. Saves the hassle of blocking the hole at the carby base plate.
Thanks also for the info on the sensors, it is not the temperature sensor but the other one, so I will leave it alone!
Thanks again guys.

Willy Fisterbottom

Post by Willy Fisterbottom » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:29 am

I made one from copper wate pipe complete with T piece for the air bleed.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:13 am

not plugging the hole in the manifold base of carby and expecting the deletion of hose from water pump pipe - don't think that solves the problem as water may still be around from the water jacket inside the manifold ?

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:23 pm

In regards to that little pipe; water actually flows from one side of the water jacket form a cylinder head, through the inlet manifold where it meets the base of the carbie, and then down into the opposite cylinder head. Water actually flows from the base of the carbie through that little hose down into the heater pipe, not the other way round as I think everyone is assuming.
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

Willy Fisterbottom

Post by Willy Fisterbottom » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:41 pm

It's an air bleed I reckon.

Subydoug

Post by Subydoug » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:49 pm

+1 on airbleed. If you look at both the little pipe going from the top of the block and the one coming from said pipe, they are just to allow air up to the highest point (manifold) from both the heater core and block, I made a new pipe, think I posted it some place else,

Never bothered with the little pipe, just plugged off the manifold.

Regards

Doug

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:12 pm

http://imageshack.com/a/img538/5927/Jo6E1g.jpg
(clicky linky for full size)

Oops I was wrong, water comes from both cylinder heads into the intake manifold, looks like some then goes to the thermostat>radiator and some goes to the heater core (if it's turned on I guess) Item 5 above is the hose in question.
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

Return to “Trouble Shooting”