EA81 pinging constantly!

Having issues with your ride ? Ask away in here ...
steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:26 pm

what was it Willy said about my EA82M running base set at 22 BTDC ??? Bit rude for in here :p

I can sympathise with you Sam, been accused of similar weirdies happening when I converted from auto to manual on a beast I ran an unknown comp ratio - gave 230 psi cranking pressure and factory setting was 4* BTDC +/- 2*. Liked 2 :)

Really never heard of lean mixtures causing pinging , BUT heard a couriers way of tuning once a mechanic had finished - he richened up his LPG to eliminate pinging up long haul hills loaded up to the hood lining !

But why yours has sprung up has got me !

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:49 pm

Oh yeah this ute is just full of weird-ness. Some left over from a previous life in someone else's hands and some appear from thin air for no reason, such is life driving an old, old car.

So I just now had a proper drive around with the new coil/plug gap/timing; up the long steep hills where just yesterday it would be pinging it's heads off, today there is nothing but quiet smooth running and lots of nice torque (thankyou Weber :p) So the pinging in those light throttle situations has completely gone. It has been replaced by detonation of the sort you get at WOT and high revs. Which means I can no longer come out of the big roundabout near home at 80 km/h in 2nd... :( Funny thing is on the way home just now I realized that I don't remember re-connecting the vac advance line from earlier today.

Not really related to this thread but the main thing I've noticed with the Weber, EA82 manifold and larger exhaust (including headers) is it revs higher alot easier. Before the current setup 80 in 2nd was a big ask and really pushing it, now it achieves it with ease but I don't dare push it any further lest something goes pop.
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:53 pm

so bloody good that must feel Sam ! Now, whjat you need is some vac line from its manifold/carby source in to the cabin and back out to the vac can. Add an irrigation or the like tap to it and see if you can switch the ping on and off with the tap opening. If so, maybe a restrictor inside the vac line might cure the ills ?

Don't try my 22 degrees :p

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:28 pm

Is your advance mechanism returning fully or operating at all?

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:37 pm

Interesting idea there Jonno, weird that having the line just hanging in the breeze is better than vac advance. Faulty mech or too strong a signal I dunno, don't really care either :p It is operating, tested it before I installed that dizzy.
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:38 am

Silverbullet wrote:It is operating, tested it before I installed that dizzy.
Was this the same time that you installed those "new" yet now corroded spark leads? Could be worth checking out.

I reckon the issue we're experiencing with Sunnie the Brumby is directly related to the carb that's more than likely never been serviced in ~350k km...

Time to buy a kit and have some weekend carbie "fun".

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Brumby Kid
General Member

Post by Brumby Kid » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:08 pm

80 in 2nd at that round about is great fun!
We really need to compare your 2 cars and my Brumby!
Would be great to see the differences they have and what they will each do with what has been done

Cheers Cam
When life gives you a corner, drop a gear, pitch, and stomp the loud pedal
Bianca: 1991 Subaru Brumby
My First / Project car

EA81 Rebuilt by Tony Knight from knight Engines
2" body lift
25" 185r14 Yokahama Delivery Star, light truck tyres
2" Sports exhaust
Rear Aguip step/bar
Liberty seats
"Bianca"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Dads Car: 02 Impreza WRX STi
Mums Car 08 Liberty Wagon

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:36 pm

Brumby Kid wrote:80 in 2nd at that round about is great fun!
We really need to compare your 2 cars and my Brumby!
Would be great to see the differences they have and what they will each do with what has been done

Cheers Cam
It's definitely on Cam, my twin port wagon is gonna whip your ute...when it's actually running :oops:

80 in second is effortless now with this better breathing setup, it's amazing what better circulation can do. At the moment I'm running it with the vac advance disconnected completely and all ports plugged. No light throttle pinging but now WOT and hard acceleration pinging.

Just can't win sometimes...
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

Return to “Trouble Shooting”