04 2.5 X blown radiator queries

Having issues with your ride ? Ask away in here ...
pitrack_1

04 2.5 X blown radiator queries

Post by pitrack_1 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:59 am

One of my mates had his 04 2.5 X Forester blow its radiator. His wife noticed steam coming from the bonnet, pulled over and eventually got a lift home. Not noticed whether it had overheated on the gauge. Car driven to mechanic's with water in the radiator the next day, blown radiator- brittle split/fragmentation at top, radiator replaced. Car is running fine, no sign of coolant loss or fluid mixing (oil/coolant). Car has 214k km.

The (apparently perished) top hose had been replaced not long before, I suspect the mechanics may have damaged the (already brittle) radiator, but that's now a moot point.

My questions are, is there anything my mate should look out for? Is damage already likely to have been done? Is it simply a matter of time before some related failure, or could the car be OK? They've 2 young children and it's their only car.

Thanks,
Patrick
Ex- 2010 Forester Diesel

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:46 am

A Tee-Kay test on the coolant will determine whether there is any signs of combustion gasses in the cooling system. Thus letting you know if there has been any damage to the head gaskets.

I'd also change the oil as this would have most likely boiled and lost most of it's protection properties.
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

pitrack_1

Tee-Kay and oil change

Post by pitrack_1 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:18 am

Many thanks, will pass the info on.
Patrick
Ex- 2010 Forester Diesel

Return to “Trouble Shooting”