Flashing DPF light and rising oil level

Having issues with your ride ? Ask away in here ...
hoffy01

Flashing DPF light and rising oil level

Post by hoffy01 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:43 am

Hi Everyone
Hope I've done this right I'm a newbie
I have a 2011 Outback diesel have had it from new always serviced at the local Subaru dealer with no issues until 85.000ks then the engine run a bearing and had a new short block put in there was a issue with one of the injectors (the dealer did try to get 4 injectors but Subaru only wanted to replace 1) so got the car back and all was good for about 15-20000ks then the DPF light started flashing the oil level was high as well, the car was at the dealer for over a week and had the other 3 injectors replaced even after they where sent away and tested fine also the return and high pressure fuel lines where replaced, picked up car and then after 2000ks the light started flashing again so back to the dealer oil level was high again,
they did a forced regen oil and filter and a reset and where very carful about the oil level this time less than a 1000ks and the light is back on flashing so have taken it back and the oil level is high yet again
any ideas what's going on here, the dealer has been really good there are only 2 of these in our area so not very common here
I travel 20ks to work each day mainly 100kph areas

thanks in advance

ktmtragic

Post by ktmtragic » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:51 am

Fuel metering is the problem. Diesel is flowing past the rings into the sump and diluting the oil. Probably that is why you ran the bearing in the first place. Not sure exactly how the Subie system works but I would suggest it is either the ECU or it is getting the wrong data from a sensor and giving a cylinder/s too much diesel and that is why the DPF keeps choking up or an injector is not shutting, last option common rail diesel pressure too low
Hope this helps

Subyroo

Post by Subyroo » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:51 pm

ktmtragic wrote:Fuel metering is the problem. Diesel is flowing past the rings into the sump and diluting the oil. Probably that is why you ran the bearing in the first place. Not sure exactly how the Subie system works but I would suggest it is either the ECU or it is getting the wrong data from a sensor and giving a cylinder/s too much diesel and that is why the DPF keeps choking up or an injector is not shutting, last option common rail diesel pressure too low
Hope this helps
Mazda CX5 Diesel's had the same "oil rising" issue when they first came out, the made a correction to the ECU database - problem solved.

Maybe your dealership needs to make some some inquiries further afield for a similar fix for your OB.
Peter

pitrack_1

Continouous oil level rises on a diesel

Post by pitrack_1 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:25 am

Hoffy01,

have seen a report or two about a similar problem elsewhere. Does sound like the dealer needs to get on the Subaru chat/service bulletin sites and have a hard look.

I assume you haven't (or the previous owner hadn't) modified anything.

First of all, this diesel needs to be driven rather like a petrol. Don't lug it at low revs, keep the revs ~2000rpm or higher. For me, that's like 3rd up to ~65km/h, 4th to 85km/h, 5th to 105km/h, 6th >105km/h. You won't lose any appreciable economy and will get better performance. Yes, really!

The oil level rise is (most likely) caused by oil dilution by diesel. One main cause is DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) regeneration. The DPF traps the soot generated by your diesel engine (hence no black clouds out of your exhaust). What happens in the Subaru EURO5 diesels is some diesel is injected on the exhaust stroke. The diesel proceeds through the exhaust to the DPF where it assists to raise the temp (by burning) to burn off the accumulated soot. The timing of this is dependent, it seems, on measurement of exhaust pressure before and after the DPF. If there's too big a differential, the DPF's clogged and the car will regenerate it. My vehicle becomes quite sluggish when this happens and fuel economy goes to pot. Eventually however the DPF will clog up with unburnables, called ash, at which time your either replace the DPF or its internals. That should be a way off yet for you.

It's possible that your car thinks it has to regenerate all the time. A possibility is a fault in the pressure differential measurement. The flashing DPF light can indicate the engine computer thinks the DPF is completely clogged and requires a dealer visit to regen, or in worst cases, requires replacement. Have a look here and here too and here three.

Also is the dealer actually resetting the oil dilution counter during services?

Some telltales to look for:
- Sluggish performance
- Poor fuel economy- e.g. at 60-80km/h on a flat road, a readout of ~8-10l/100km (instead of ~4-6) happening constantly
- The Subaru dealer should be able to read out when the last regen completed successfully, also a regen count since last service/reset (and perhaps total) and a distance since last regen start (I think). The code number will be important. They should also be able to get a readout of both the soot and ash content, and the oil dilution level.

It might be worthwhile having the dealer hook up their laptop and log data whilst you drive to send to Subaru for analysis.

Now the above is just my bee in my bonnet. Given the damage and work that's occurred to your vehicle, it cold be other causes- faulty injection, screwed up CPU (perhaps- get the dealer to clear the memory so it relearns), full Ash content (new DPF or at least DPF internals required), dud sensors, other mechanical problems related to the bearing (e.g. rings perhaps not sealing properly???)

Good luck, and please keep us posted!
Patrick
Ex- 2010 Forester Diesel

Sub2010

DPF light related issues

Post by Sub2010 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:57 am

I too have flashing DPF light as well as permanent glow in my 2010 diesel outback. Owned car since new and has happened at least 10 times, usually after a service. Return to dealer to be told maybe driving or dirty fuel problem but don't think either the case as mainly highway driving at 110 kph and fuel mostly from same garage. Very frustrating. Manual outlines procedure to reset oil dilution ratio so think I might turn to servicing myself now it is 4 years old.

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:15 pm

Sub2010 wrote: Manual outlines procedure to reset oil dilution ratio so think I might turn to servicing myself now it is 4 years old.
Which manual would that be? the owners manual or the FSM/WSM?

And what brand of oil would you use?

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

Sub2010

Post by Sub2010 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:31 pm

Owners Manual has instructions for resetting oil dilution ratio. Reads like cracking a safe but should be straightforward enough. The same oil as Subaru use Castrol C3 I think.

Return to “Trouble Shooting”