Tappet Death rattle

Having issues with your ride ? Ask away in here ...
brumby_boy

Tappet Death rattle

Post by brumby_boy » Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:33 pm

I've had noisy tappets for a long time in an EA82. Googled to find out more. One suggestion was to run on 10-30 oil which I did for some time with minor improvement :confused:. I again googled with the suggestion an oil pump kit would fix the problem. Haven't yet replaced them but a neighbour friend who has had L series said it wont fix the problem. Should I bother replacing them? :confused:

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:51 pm

I think the consensus is air gets drawn in through the oil pump seal (?) and gets to the hydraulic lifters causing the noise. Pretty much every EA82 does it, debatable whether an O-ring or oil pump kit would fix it. Some have had results using different oils but I couldn't tell you which.
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

taza
General Member

Post by taza » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:00 pm

One of my wagons had the loudest lifters I'd ever heard. Even the radio couldn't hide the noise!
I did the oil and filter. Used shell 20w50 oil and added some Nulon lifter free up/ additive from supercheap.
Decent a huge improvement after about 50km of driving.
You'd almost not even hear it except when you first start her up.
That's from my experience anyway.
Good luck and let us know what you do.

timmo

Post by timmo » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:17 pm

Oil pump seals definately worth a go, has worked for me, though the lifter noise hadn't been there for a long time as is your case
L series wagon EA82T (RIP)
'92 Liberty RS Turbo
GU Patrol Ute
Honda XR400R

jims

Post by jims » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:44 am

Oil pump seals worked for me too

OKsubaru

Post by OKsubaru » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:30 am

you know that TV advert where the next door saw his neighbours tool box on special and the guy with the tool box had some sort of price difference guarantee ??

You might be able to stick it up your neighbour :p

A reset of the timing belt tension through those bung plugs on the front covers has also helped. And, I guess new lifters woul;d really wipe the smile off neighbour - just don't tell ;)

I think it was catapiller diesel spec 10W40 that did wonders for a few also
:)

brumby_boy

Post by brumby_boy » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:39 am

Thanks to all suggestions and I will give a last go at the "mechanic in the can" taza before pulling off the oil pump. I'll get a bottle sent down on Monday from Repco.

Does that diesel oil work something like Nulon lifter free then OKsubaru?

OKsubaru

Post by OKsubaru » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:10 pm

not sure,search philatdarwin - think he started it - enter catarpiller however it is meant to be spelt in search and se what you get
:)

brumby_boy

Post by brumby_boy » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:15 pm

Thanks for that info OKsabaru. Have posted link if anyone else wants to read ...showthread.php?t=22770&highlight=philat ... aterpillar

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:59 pm

When you do the seals in the oil pump make sure you replace the shaft seal. The cam wheel can be hard to remove to get to the seal but it's part of the system and is known to suck air. If you only replace the "mickey mouse" seal you're only doing half the job. Also check the shaft for wear, if there's a groove in the shaft replace it.

Another little trick I've used with relatively good results is adding a 2-3mm spacer behind the pressure relief valve (ball and spring arrangement). Further to this, if you can be bothered since the engine is still in the vehicle, you can clean out the oil passages in the head and have a look at the area in there - I'm 99% sure there's another pressure relief setup on each head, if the spring is jammed it's not going to allow oil to pressurise in that area which could lead to dodgy lifters.

If your lifters have been doing this for a long time they could be worn to the point that they won't oil up and hold the pressure due to tolerances becoming too large with the constant movement. In this case it is best to buy new lifters or "look into an EJ conversion" :twisted:

I had to slip that last bit in there somewhere :lol:

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:33 pm

"Death Rattle" usually refers to detonation not lifter tick. Sorry but just needs to be said to avoid confusion.

Lifter tick in the EA82 is very common as they get older. This happens for a few reasons but 9 times out of 10 it's because the Oil Pump Shaft Seal is old and allowing air to be sucked in when running. This air makes it's way to the Lash Adjuster (Lifter) and gets trapped in it. This air pocket stops the Lash Adjuster pressing up correctly and makes clearance between the Lash Adjuster and Cam Shaft.

The other 1 out of 10 times it's due to the oil galleries getting clogged up. Before you start replacing the seals in the Oil Pump, try running the engine with a bottle of Engine Oil Flush. Follow the instructions on the bottle and then use some good quality oil and new filter.
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

Esubie

Post by Esubie » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:46 am

RSR 555 wrote:"Death Rattle" usually refers to detonation not lifter tick. Sorry but just needs to be said to avoid confusion.

Lifter tick in the EA82 is very common as they get older. ......Before you start replacing the seals in the Oil Pump, try running the engine with a bottle of Engine Oil Flush. Follow the instructions on the bottle and then use some good quality oil and new filter.
Thanks for clarifying 'Death Rattle'.

Since I have an EA82 I have the lifter noise; but only now and then, so I'm not going to rush into uneeded work. I am noting this thread tho.

Is the 'Engine Oil Flush' a particular brand ?

I use 'Older Engine Oil'. Can't remember the rating exactly but it is different. Local mech looked up some Subaru reference and said the oil specified was different for 'new' and old EA82s.
1985 L Wagon DL. Carb. EA82. Stock.

d_generate
General Member

Post by d_generate » Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:48 pm

Another cheap old trick is to drain your oil and shove 4L of diesel fuel in there (not oil) I did t5his with my off road WRX after it sat for 4yrs and it cleaned out everything, it went from ticking like a bomb to a Swiss watch.

Start with the engine cold and let it warm up for about 15min giving it very light revs every now and then, then dump the diesel ( I ended up with a bucket of guk ) and replace with a good quality semi synthetic.
98 Libbo with V3 STI running gear. 13.0 @ 105mph with CAI & 3" Zorst:mrgreen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKrsF-2JS3M :twisted:

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:43 pm

Esubie wrote:Thanks for clarifying 'Death Rattle'.

Since I have an EA82 I have the lifter noise; but only now and then, so I'm not going to rush into uneeded work. I am noting this thread tho.

Is the 'Engine Oil Flush' a particular brand ?

I use 'Older Engine Oil'. Can't remember the rating exactly but it is different. Local mech looked up some Subaru reference and said the oil specified was different for 'new' and old EA82s.
No worries :)

Yeah, I wouldn't spend money on the EA unless it was really necessary.

There is lots of different brands of Engine Oil Flush and I use Nulon or Penerite.

Yes, there is lots of different types of oils on the market but you need to check what grade/spec oil that Subaru recommend. I don't have my service manual in front of me but I'm sure someone knows off the top of their head?
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

Return to “Trouble Shooting”