motor hot and car stopped wants to stall

Having issues with your ride ? Ask away in here ...
bigbear

motor hot and car stopped wants to stall

Post by bigbear » Wed May 01, 2013 10:23 pm

I have a ej 22 in my 74 auto kombi which was converted about 3 1/2 years ago.Car normally goes great but lately when the motor gets warmed up i will be out driving then when i have to stop at traffic lights or behind traffic i have to put one foot on the brake and the other on the accelarator to stop it from stalling.When it is on its way up to temperature and cruising it goes great it is just when the motor gets up to temperature.Fans are coming on at the right time and at the right temp.Any advice would be great. .John

akpv

Post by akpv » Thu May 02, 2013 12:12 am

Im not much good on the EJ22s but I assume they are similar to the EJ20Ts.

Not sure what your wiring situation is but can you check the ECU error codes?

Can you pull the top off the idle air control valve and rotate the shaft manually? Can you keep the engine alive doing this?

Do you have an oxygen sensor in the exhaust? Does the inlet have an AFM?

bigbear

Post by bigbear » Thu May 02, 2013 12:04 pm

Just got it back from subaru mechanic who said all good.He put it on the computer and said oxygen sensor comes up but that could be from another time.He put new plugs in and replaced the electronic coil.Did a compression test which was all good.Started great drove really well on my way home which took about 20 minutes. Then went out about an hour later had to stop at lights ,that is when it started to struggle to idle and wanted to die on me.

Davidov

Post by Davidov » Thu May 02, 2013 3:37 pm

Try cleaning the IACV (Idle air control valve). My Rex motor didn't want to idle properly until i cleaned it out. You can use carby cleaner, or petrol works well too.
MY03 Outback JDM Turbo Conversion
Taza: "Is this phone quad cam?"

yarney
General Member

Post by yarney » Thu May 02, 2013 4:56 pm

One thing i would do first is run some Subaru upper engine cleaner through it
You can buy a can from a Subaru dealer cost under $20
All dealers run a can through when servicing

Jan
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] !!!Subies will go anywhere

bigbear

Post by bigbear » Thu May 02, 2013 9:01 pm

Thanks will try upper engine cleaner.Have tried a couple of mechanics to fix this problem but still when motor gets to temp and you stop on idle it wants to die.The only thing achieved , money from my pocket to their pocket.When my kombi is going sweet i get so much enjoyment driving it.Yarney i live in mermaid waters near pacific fair can you reccomend a local subaru mechanic or someone from logan south.It has to be something simple because it drives so good. Thanks john.

littlewhiteute

Post by littlewhiteute » Fri May 03, 2013 6:18 am

+1 for Subaru Upper Engine Cleaner. Do the Idle Control valve AND your pcv valve. Makes a big difference.
Regards

Gary ;)

bigbear

Post by bigbear » Tue May 07, 2013 3:27 pm

Thanks littlewhiteute.Will try the cleaner

akpv

Post by akpv » Tue May 07, 2013 7:01 pm

Have you tried what I said? Cleaning it might help free it up (which will fix it if that is the issue) but it will make very little difference to flow through it. It will also make very little difference if the IACV hasn't been set correctly. You can do what I said in about 3 minutes with **** all tools to check if you problem is IACV related. Lots of people on subaru forums love throwing subaru upper engine cleaner at everything, it is good stuff but it isn't doesn't replace a set of tools.

akpv

Post by akpv » Tue May 07, 2013 7:02 pm

Do this and try and turn the shaft. Does it turn freely? Does your idle speed change / go high einough?

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Tue May 07, 2013 8:25 pm

akpv wrote:Image

Do this and try and turn the shaft. Does it turn freely? Does your idle speed change / go high einough?
Not a good idea to remove the solenoid from the top of the AICV unless you are very confident you can put it back in the same spot. There is a section in the liberty FSM that deals with adjusting the AICV if you do move / need to move the solenoid.

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Tue May 07, 2013 9:18 pm

You could try resetting the computer.

Disconnect the battery then press the brakes (the brake lights discharge residual charge). You can also leave it overnight.

Then without touching any pedals, A/C, etc, start the engine & leave it running for 15min. During this time DONT TOUCH ANYTHING! Then turn it off. Your ECU will now be reset :cool:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Owner SubieLiftOz, lift kits for Subarus :twisted:

'97 Forester: EJ22E; 4" Custom Body Lift; JDM STi plated LSD; 20mm WRX RSB; Snorkel; Kings

akpv

Post by akpv » Wed May 08, 2013 12:33 am

TOONGA wrote:Not a good idea to remove the solenoid from the top of the AICV unless you are very confident you can put it back in the same spot. There is a section in the liberty FSM that deals with adjusting the AICV if you do move / need to move the solenoid.

TOONGA
Riiiight. And what is the procedure for adjusting? Rotate until idle is right? Rocket surgery.

If you are really worried just mark alignment on the top but it really isn't necessary. Generally IACVs haven't been touched on years and you can see where the screws have been sitting on the adjustment slots.

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Wed May 08, 2013 9:36 am

NachaLuva wrote:You could try resetting the computer.

Disconnect the battery then press the brakes (the brake lights discharge residual charge). You can also leave it overnight.

Then without touching any pedals, A/C, etc, start the engine & leave it running for 15min. During this time DONT TOUCH ANYTHING! Then turn it off. Your ECU will now be reset :cool:
+1 for this. I would recommend you not touch the accelerator pedal until the fans have cycled on then off.
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

bigbear

Post by bigbear » Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:46 pm

Thanks guys.Replaced the electronic coil.Then while driving around on flat ground all was good .Then when I had to give it bit like going up hills the trouble started coughing and struggling for power.What had happened was when the coil was faulty the fuel mixes was all wrong which stuffed the catalytic convertor up.So driving on the flat and not hitting the pedal very hard it was all good.But once you gave it a boot all the shit from the cat blocked things up.Put on a new cat and exhaust problem all fixed.Put some upper engine cleaner in as well.Thanks for the advice and suggestions.

sven '2'
General Member

Post by sven '2' » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:23 pm

Good news

I think we need pics of your bus for 'payment' so to speak!! Love a kombi...

Regards

Sven (9 beers in on a TGIF and rock'in it old school-style)
73 Yamaha DT3 250

08 Ford BF wagon - LPG FTMFW

14 Toyota Kluger - goodness!

bigbear

Post by bigbear » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:37 pm

Now it is running good I will replace the o2 sensor.Do you know the right place to get a o2 sensor for the ej22 90 series.Thanks in advance.Great price if I lived in the US in oz seems bloody exoensive.

Return to “Trouble Shooting”