brumby starting issue

Having issues with your ride ? Ask away in here ...
Bantum
General Member

US wiring ...

Post by Bantum » Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:20 pm

TOONGA wrote: ... My brumby doesn't have factory intermittent wipers, no AU delivered brumby ever did.

It is the fuel cut relay I was talking about.

Do you have the correct wiring diagram for the 1989 Australian delivered brumby? ...
Had a look for the correct wiring diagram & came accoss the american Brat :

http://lamotovita.com/1985-subaru-brat- ... g-diagram/

It Does show the fuel pump realy - amoung other intersting bits, but it still doesn't help us here.

Has anyone got a link to the Aussie Brumby ?

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:58 pm

bantum wrote:
has anyone got a link to the aussie brumby ?
toonga wrote: the only one i know of, is in perth and the owner is currently driving oil rigs.
:)

Toonga
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

kayoteq

Post by kayoteq » Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:14 pm

Hi, just wanted to apologize for any confusion on that diagram from webmonkees. . [url=http:///webmonkees.com/art/sub/wire/]Here's some newer diagrams[/url] for future reference that includes the fuel pump control unit.. Page 2 has the FPCU..
[currently having issues with the fuel pump or a ground where there shouldn't be one, so my search ended up showing me my own old diagram :)
. ]

auster

bowl vent solenoid

Post by auster » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:51 pm

My 1987 Brumby EA81 (semi auto choke, Hitachi carburettor) blew 2 fuses and refused to start this morning. Problem was traced to a shorted solenoid in the fuel bowl vent. I cut the wires, removed the internal rod and screwed it back in. The car went again OK.

What does this device do? Gregory's manual says it stops petrol vapours venting to atmosphere when parked, ie when engine not running

Is it possible to get a new solenoid? If it does not need to be replaced in what configuration should the old one be left in the hole?

Auster

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:26 pm

Which solenoid do you have?

this one?

or this one?

The solenoid is there to stop the engine from running on (when it is hot) after it has been turned off.

And yes it is possible to get a new or used one.

Im suprised your carby works with the rod removed.

TOONGA

auster

vent bowl

Post by auster » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:27 am

My engine is a little cleaner than that picture but it's the top one, the bowl vent solenoid not the anti dieseling job.

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:16 pm

ok ... the upshot of the vent solenoid being removed is fuel evaporation. So if you leave your car for a long period of time the carby will dry out.

TOONGA

auster

vent

Post by auster » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:28 pm

Toonga,

Thanks for that, I have been reading many of your informative posts over the years.

So I gather that the solenoid just vents the float bowl to atmosphere when the engine is running and seals it when engine is off. Thus if the vent is closed a vacuum might develop in the float bowl stopping fuel flow....

Auster

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:38 pm

auster wrote:So I gather that the solenoid just vents the float bowl to atmosphere when the engine is running and seals it when engine is off. Thus if the vent is closed a vacuum might develop in the float bowl stopping fuel flow....

Auster
More like vents it to the carbon canister behind the LH headlight, that little hose coming out of the solenoid should go to the canister I think. Then when the engine is running vacuum opens the valve in the canister allowing the fuel vapors into the inlet manifold to be burned. Without it you are just venting to atmosphere, like the older generation Hitachi's.
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

Return to “Trouble Shooting”