I hate hard brake lines :(

Having issues with your ride ? Ask away in here ...
steptoe
Master Member

I hate hard brake lines :(

Post by steptoe » Tue May 15, 2012 6:20 pm

Done a perfect bench bleed of my resleeved master cylinder, go to shove back in the Brumby and the fuggin' little pipe nuts won't thread in nicely underside of the MC due to some tweest or tension of the hard line that then goes to the junction box bolted to the chassis.

Not wanting to bugger any fine thread on either pipe nut or MC, I try removing junction box securing bolt to chassis to give a bit more flexibilty. STILL no bloody go ! I resorted to undoing bhard line at junction box, screw in MC end and work backwards. Stopped off to bench bleed again in between, bled all four wheels in correct order, the nipples on MC TWICE! now - BEATEN, beaten by flippin' yuk feel of brake fluid, brake fluid getting in more places than should...getting cold and dark. Body just hates bending over std Brumby height for too long while hands and brain deal with a bloody hard brake line pipe nut. And still have sheissenhausen pedal

:( rant over

might go see if a flexible rubber hose can be made with pipe ends ??

brake fluid ...ICK !!

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue May 15, 2012 7:26 pm

Gearbox oil is the worst I reckon, brake fluid isn't so bad...

I don't understand what's with the bench bleeding of the master cylinder? I bled my brakes without removing the master cylinder - it's all come up good.

I do understand the fine thread issue, I had a bit of trouble with them too - but it turned out all good once the angle of the dangle was right, then it was on, came up good with the new flexible hoses too.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Wed May 16, 2012 8:42 am

new, empty masters often need a bench bleed with fingers over outlet ports acting as valves, master in vice, biggish Philips screwdriver poking the piston to get the air out. I previously made up some old brake lines to screw in ports under with pvc lines to blow and suck into filled reservoir and pvc line from bleed side masters nipples to old sprite drink bottle, watching for expelled air bubbles, when all clear, remove bleeder lines, fingers on ports, rush to hook up master to lines then bleed whole system - succes. Not this time :) Grrr

Smokey

Post by Smokey » Wed May 16, 2012 12:10 pm

What were the costs involved in the master resivour service Jonno and your new lines Bennie?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Wed May 16, 2012 9:03 pm

Master resleeved with stainless steel and rebuilt ~ $150 . Lines are about $30 each made to match the sample you give them. Rockauto is also good. Got some for about $5 ea plus postage

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:53 pm

only three years have elapsed and am in same stinking boat, same BMC, same car

:(

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:58 pm

Crikey Jonno, couldn't have timed that better if we tried! Both digging up old threads in Troubleshooting, both with years old problems, both at 10:23 PM! :p
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

Return to “Trouble Shooting”