Webber troubles

Having issues with your ride ? Ask away in here ...
SUBANOOB

Webber troubles

Post by SUBANOOB » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:24 pm

I have recently had a webber carby put onto my brumby. When i picked it up from the shop they advised me that there is a flat spot, when in first as you initially accelerate ( they put it down as wrong a/m carby). Also i was advised that the carby has two pump inlets but the third was missing??????????? The car drives way worse than before, far less power and it is eating more fuel:mad:. Please Help.

Smokey

Post by Smokey » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:37 pm

Not sure what you mean by "wrong a/m carby"? What type/model is it? We need a bit more info. However the shop you took it to would have given you an option/price to fix it no? Is it genuine weber?

Once you know the problem there is either weber on ebay or a company in Melb called weber performance that will help supply parts and advice.

Venom
General Member

Post by Venom » Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:15 am

You only need 1 fuel inlet, and if using the factory pump you don't even need a return line.

A picture says a thousand words, and half a dozen pictures of this setup would be great. It would be interesting to see what they've done with the fuel lines and also the crank case ventilation system.

My weber ran like shit for a while. Took a while to sort out and it was all to do with the ignition components and incorrect timing which, once sorted out, finally allowed the weber to be tuned correctly.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:49 am

why haven't you taken it back to the "shop" that did the work?

the "pump inlets" are the inlet and return, later model brumbys (87 on I think) need a return line earlier ones don't.

and yes what model weber is it, pictures would be great.

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

Tweety
General Member

Post by Tweety » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:05 pm

My brumby engine is a 92 model and in my conversions thread (EA81 into VW trike automatic) someone suggested that no return line to the tank was necessary if you have an electric fuel pump with no more than 3 or 4 psi.

Works great.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Tweety trike- EA81 (full reco 2014) 32/36 weber, SPFI manifold, 9.5:1 CR, VW auto.

SUBANOOB

Post by SUBANOOB » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:21 pm

Hi Guys i have tried to attach two photos of the 32/36 dgv Carby, hope it works and i hope it helps.

I took the car to Hervey bay and limped it back home. the Gremlins are still there. While i was on the road i contacted the mechanic and told him he will see the car soon, I then called weber performance and gave them the mechanics Ph.No. so hopefuly they both can figure somthing out??? Thanks again in advance for any insite that you can provide... If the photo's don't work i will try again soon.
Attachments
DSC01449.jpg
DSC01449.jpg (110.52 KiB) Viewed 1607 times
DSC01448.jpg
DSC01448.jpg (115.76 KiB) Viewed 1609 times

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:24 pm

Yep photos worked:

That is one very shiny carb you've got there!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Loyale 2.7 Turbo

Post by Loyale 2.7 Turbo » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:17 am

The Weber should have just One fuel line attached, my own experience teached me to Not use the Return line and leave the hose open, while the carb's return should be Closed.

Have you checked the Jettings? ...

By reading what you wrote, I'm almost sure that it has one of these issues:
  • Wrong Jettings, or
  • Misplaced Jettings.

Those should be:

• Around 120 / 130 \ 140 in Low Stage (Primary)
  • Around 140 / 150 \ 160 in High Stage (Secondary)

Also, the Choke could be Stuck and not workin' properly.

I Kindly suggest you to Check that and give us Feedback about what did you find, in order to Help you.

Kind Regards.

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:21 pm

Put a set of small vice grips on your return line. This will eliminate if this is the issue. Personally, I think it's more likey over fueling and really need to check float height. I have a great tool that replaces the spark plug and allows you to see the fuel burning in the combustion chamber. This would show you if its a fuel or vacuum issue.
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

Return to “Trouble Shooting”