02 rx creaking in reverse

Having issues with your ride ? Ask away in here ...
Brendan1990

02 rx creaking in reverse

Post by Brendan1990 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:44 pm

Hey guys just signed up, hope someone can help me out, im currently a 2nd yr app at subaru and have never come accross this before and its doing my head in.

A mate of mine is complaining of a creaking noise coming from the LHF of his car when in reverse full lock. I have spent a good few hours under the car lubing up all ball joints, bushes, engine mounts, tie rod's, drive shafts pretty much everything down the, and to confirm no its not the cv's/drive shafts they are in perfect condition no boots split or anything. Now he said this only started happening after the car was repaired from being smashed from the LHF but i am unsure of how bad the accident was.....

I am coming to the conclusion that it could be the steering rack but dont want him to go out and get a whole new steering rack setup if its not that. Ill say again that this ONLY happens when reversing full lock to the right.

If anyone could help out it would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

SuBaRiNo

Post by SuBaRiNo » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:20 pm

Does it creak in time with the wheel rotating? If so.. Wheel bearings or loose hub nut.

Dave
EJ conversion wiring harness cut downs available. Please PM or email (davem2000@hotmail.com) for details.

d_generate
General Member

Post by d_generate » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:35 pm

Only in reverse eh?............Just tell him not to go back.
98 Libbo with V3 STI running gear. 13.0 @ 105mph with CAI & 3" Zorst:mrgreen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKrsF-2JS3M :twisted:

Brendan1990

Post by Brendan1990 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:21 pm

SuBaRiNo wrote:Does it creak in time with the wheel rotating? If so.. Wheel bearings or loose hub nut.

Dave
yes but only under load, doesnt do it when raised, i thought wheel bearing noise was constant no matter which way the wheel is turning not to mention it only happens full lock, wouldn't a wheel bearing make the noise all the time?

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:18 pm

Brendan1990 wrote:yes but only under load, doesnt do it when raised, i thought wheel bearing noise was constant no matter which way the wheel is turning not to mention it only happens full lock, wouldn't a wheel bearing make the noise all the time?
Not necessarily.

I was thinking chipped reverse gear - but a) how do you damage that in an accident and b) it would make a noise all the time if it still worked...

If its been in an accident you'll have to check everything out. Tightening bushes won't fix an issue if the bushes are already damaged. The forces of the front end at full lock are different to what would be experienced by the various components when moving in a forward direction.

It could also be your mate's awareness of the accident repair. Have you heard it yourself and is it there every time he reverses at full lock? And is it in one direction only or both?

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Brendan1990

Post by Brendan1990 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:36 pm

Yeah i have hurd it myself, tried lubing/ tightening bushes and doesn't stop, only happens in reverse full lock to the right.

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:00 pm

The tyre isn't rubbing on the body is it?
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:31 pm

Wheel nut torque itself? Has a panel shop had the hub off, they do a god job at pulling things apart to get their job done, may miss the finer details of 180Nm if these series still has 'em that tight.

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:26 pm

Check that the brake caliper is straight.. remove the wheel, put back on 2 wheel nuts and then check the alignment of the caliper.
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

Subyroo

Post by Subyroo » Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:09 pm

Just guessing here :confused:

But is there a steering "bump stop" somewhere that needs a bit of grease on it?
Peter

coupe

Post by coupe » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:23 am

My money is on the wheel bearing need to be retensioned.
Use The Fork Luke

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:10 pm

RSR 555 wrote:Check that the brake caliper is straight.. remove the wheel, put back on 2 wheel nuts and then check the alignment of the caliper.
Or a retaining nut is missing causing the calliper to flick out and bit the inside of the rim when reversing... I couldn't explain why it would only be at full lock though :rolleyes:
coupe wrote:My money is on the wheel bearing need to be retensioned.
I don't think the later model subarus tension the bearings like the MY's and L's did with the driveshaft and castle nut arrangement...

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Return to “Trouble Shooting”