lifted click

Having issues with your ride ? Ask away in here ...
woody.t

lifted click

Post by woody.t » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:37 am

lifter click... how do we go about stopping the lifters clicking? cheers
"the wisest of men followed the stars"
<a href="http://www.ausubaru.com/forum/showthrea ... 200">CHLOE THE LIBERTY</a>
to do list:
-3" strut, 2" body lift uni mid-year break

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:58 am

Commonly referred to as 'Lifter Tick'.. do a search as there is plenty on here about it :)
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

someguy

Post by someguy » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:05 am

Easiest trick for me to get rid of it was:

Next time you do an oil change use some Nulon Lifter Addative alongside some Penrite HPR50 Oil (Thicker Mineral Oil)

That combination has always worked perfectly for me.....done it to several EA82's and an EJ22 and had great results

Make sure you don't use any thin synthetic oil such as Castrol Magnatec etc as they seem to make the ticking worse
* 1990 L Series Sportswagon (Daily Driver)

* WTB 1982-84 MY 4WD Wagon (Any Condition)

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:33 am

1. what type of engine EA ? EJ ? 5 cylinder diesel?

1a. pushrod or OHV?

2. kilometres on said engine?

3. how well maintained is the engine?

just some light banter before the morning coffee sinks in. :)

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

subybrumby

Post by subybrumby » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:50 pm

I've been tackling this problem for ages with an ea82T. Finally bit the bullet and replaced both timing belts, idlers and rekitted the oil pump with new O rings etc. I run the engine on Caterpiller diesel oil with one bottle of STP treatment added. Genuine subaru oil filter fitted. Problem has gone (touch wood) and has been gone for some time. If it comes back, its the shotgun for this engine. (right Paul)
1989 Subaru Brumby - EA82T 5speed box. 4wheel disc, electric Windows plus other goodies.
Future Plans- Seat upgrade and Possible EJ20T implant.

Daily Driver Stock 1991 Brumby.[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:55 pm

subybrumby wrote: If it comes back, its the shotgun for this engine. (right Paul)
please video it

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:07 pm

My personal experience with two clattery old EA's and an EJ20turbo were all terrible with various oil additives (including Nulon). May aswell have poored them down the drain for all the difference they made. That being said, I've also heard of people like Someguy who have had success. Give it a go.
Otherwise apparently the root cause is often bad seals around the oil pump, or the oil pump itself failing.

subybrumby

Post by subybrumby » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:28 pm

Well Julian, I got sick of sitting at the traffic lights in Toowoomba with the loud tic tic tic and everyone looking at me, (thinking, can't he hear that noise) so I've just about had my run with this engine, A shotgun to it would be kind. And as for Nulon, I used soooo much that I thought I should have been invited to their Christmas party.
1989 Subaru Brumby - EA82T 5speed box. 4wheel disc, electric Windows plus other goodies.
Future Plans- Seat upgrade and Possible EJ20T implant.

Daily Driver Stock 1991 Brumby.[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

sublime

Post by sublime » Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:07 pm

Thicker oil certainly does not work for me! My EA82T hates everything but Castrol Magnatec 10W-40 (Which is OK by me as it is relatively cheap).

I have tried other more expensive brands and/or thicker 'turbo' oils with no luck at all. I also use Liqui-moly Stop Tappet Noise (Nulon is not as good IMO) every time I change the oil. After this the lifters usually keep quiet unless the car has not been used for several days in a row. In this case it only lasts until the engine warms up.

Having said all that lifter tick never really goes away, it's always lurking! just a EA82 thing you get used too!
Old Boxer Tricks
1980 Brumby
1978 4WD Station Wagon
1974 DL Sedan
1974 GSR Coupe

stevaroo

Post by stevaroo » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:32 am

I remember the horrendous ticking in my old L series. It was easily and cheaply fixed with 2 small O rings between the heads and the overhead cam cases.
Oil travels up from the pump through a port in the head, past the O ring then into the cam case and then to the hydraulic lifters. Hydraulic pressure to the lifters needs to be maintained to keep the backlash out of the lifters. The O ring fails, hydraulic pressure drops. Lash adjusters no longer adjust lash. You hear a ticking noise as they rattle on and off with each cycle.
Apparently this could be caused also by the oil pump not supplying enough pressure, or the gasket from the oil pickup tube to the oil pump failing, or the hyd lash adjusters being all gummed up so they don't slide nicely in their bores. But from what I've gathered its usually the O rings. Replace the O rings and clean up the lifters while you are at it.

Return to “Trouble Shooting”