Steering knuckle not aligned

Having issues with your ride ? Ask away in here ...
yarney
General Member

Steering knuckle not aligned

Post by yarney » Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:22 pm

I was helping phil nelis fit a lift kit today to his brumby and the steering linkage isn't aligning up with the power steering rack here are some pics
He has fitted a power steering setup to the brumby previously The difference is to much of an angle for the knuckle and we couldn't connect it up has anyone got any idea what is wrong?

You can see in this photo the how different the angels are the rack end looks like it's pointing the wrong way
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] !!!Subies will go anywhere

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:51 pm

try putting the extension on the steering column end instead of the rack end it may make a difference (thats if it fits but it should)

or you could do what I did and use the two longest bits from a steering linkage to make a longer linkage and not use the extension at all

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

phil nelis

steering knuckle

Post by phil nelis » Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:17 pm

thanks for input,but alas,we tried so many different combinations to no avail. managed to track down two more of the universal type steering knuckles and also a piece of original steering column which we hope will help us to finish the job and get car back on road.

Bogged!

Post by Bogged! » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:30 pm

I reckon you should do what I did, throw all the original stuff in the bin and use a Liberty steering coupling to get you going. The original rubber bit would last about a week with the crazy angle necessary to operate, when I did manage to get it into place it was touching together and binding badly, dangerously so too.
If you use a Lib. coupling (easy to source one too) you need to take the steering column out and remove about 15mm. I think, then use a grinder to put the flat further up so the pinch bolt can go through to tighten it up. Mine works well now but it was thinking time for a fair while before settling on the early Liberty job. If you try to use the original its too short and you need the little extension piece but if you try a Liberty its too long, hence the need to shorten the column to get the non binding position right. Was on mine and looks like your angles are just as crazy too:mrgreen:

Return to “Trouble Shooting”