How do I drain a brumby fuel tank?

Having issues with your ride ? Ask away in here ...
kona480

How do I drain a brumby fuel tank?

Post by kona480 » Mon May 03, 2010 4:35 pm

Hi
I have had some problems with water in the fuel tank lately. I put some metho in the tank which fixed it for a while but now it's happening again really badly (not getting fuel going up hill). I think there is a bolt on the bottom of the tank, do I just undo this to drain the water out? If not how can I do it?
thanks

Matt
General Member

Post by Matt » Mon May 03, 2010 5:38 pm

Yeah the bolt at the bottom of the tank will do it, but it will drain all your fuel to so run the ute pretty much dry before you do it. Also have you checked your fuel pump recently? As it could be helping the problem to.
"Bianca"
'86 Brumby - Dual Port Heads, 5 Speed Dual Range, Custom Cam, Tuned Weber, Tuned Suspension, 2" Body Lift Kit, LSD, 14" rims, 2.25" Exhaust, Snorkel, Dual Batteries, DVD Player, UHF, VHF, etc. Offically now part of the 350, 000 km Club! :) And still pulling like a freight train.

"Claudia"
82 MY Wagon - EA81T, RS Liberty WIAC, 5 Speed Dual Range, Tuned Suspension, 14" Rims 27" Tyres, 2" Body Lift Kit, Apline Head unit, UHF, Roof Console, L Series seats, Soon to have New Paint, snorkel, Dual batteries, etc

kona480

Post by kona480 » Mon May 03, 2010 9:26 pm

Matt wrote:Yeah the bolt at the bottom of the tank will do it, but it will drain all your fuel to so run the ute pretty much dry before you do it. Also have you checked your fuel pump recently? As it could be helping the problem to.
Yeah the guage is on the empty line. We checked the front fuel filter the first time it happened, it might need replacing. I will just drain it and see how it goes.

tex

Post by tex » Tue May 04, 2010 9:54 am

Don't forget the other filter!
87 targa brumby (Neglected),
92 targa brumby (weekend runabout),
97 Lifted Outback (Dailey drive),
05 outback safety (Too cheap to pass up),
90 model liberty (was to be scrapped instead sold to workmate)
+ others.

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Tue May 04, 2010 10:26 am

tex wrote:Don't forget the other filter!
quite true there is a filter that is at the back with the fuel pump, seems everybody changes the front one but the poor old back filter never gets looked at

which reminds me :rolleyes: I keep forgetting to buy a new rear filter

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

kona480

Post by kona480 » Tue May 04, 2010 2:39 pm

ok i drained the tank so i will see how it goes then maybe I will look at the filters.

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Tue May 04, 2010 4:00 pm

Hummmm interesting, Have have a brumby that always take a few turns before it stars. Seems like fuel goes back to the tank and after a while the lines are empty.
Would it be the pump?
thx
The project, EJ22 --->>> EJ25 Quad CAM:D touring wagon
Thinking of going on holidays on a little paradise island, Check out http://www.dodolidays.com

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue May 04, 2010 10:18 pm

guyph_01 wrote:Hummmm interesting, Have have a brumby that always take a few turns before it stars. Seems like fuel goes back to the tank and after a while the lines are empty.
Would it be the pump?
thx
Could be a dodgy solenoind on the carbie. A hot engine can evaporate the fuel that's in the carbie's fuel bowl - thus no fuel to start the engine with until the pump gets it there. I don't think this happens a lot though.

There are many things that can cause an engine to need a few turns before starting... The electrical system, timing, general engine condition.

I've just changed the fuel filters on Sunnie as he was having issues under semi hard acceleration and when pulling up hills. Now I can rev it out to 5 grand without a problem, before this it would barely make it to 4... It needs an EJ I've decided.

Anyway, I have thought about draining the tank by taking it out to give it a good clean and remove any crap from the bottom of it, but I'm starting to think its too much effort and I'll see how these new filters hold up.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

kona480

Post by kona480 » Fri May 07, 2010 4:06 pm

The problems kept happening after i drained the tank so i replaced the front and back filters today, the old ones were full of mud and rubbish. And just some advice, the rear filter is the main one so there is no use changing the front and not the back.

littlewhiteute

Post by littlewhiteute » Fri May 07, 2010 7:14 pm

kona480 wrote:Hi
I have had some problems with water in the fuel tank lately. I put some metho in the tank which fixed it for a while but now it's happening again really badly (not getting fuel going up hill). I think there is a bolt on the bottom of the tank, do I just undo this to drain the water out? If not how can I do it?
thanks
Check where you buy fuel from, you're getting water with your fuel.
kona480 wrote:The problems kept happening after i drained the tank so i replaced the front and back filters today, the old ones were full of mud and rubbish. And just some advice, the rear filter is the main one so there is no use changing the front and not the back.
Your tank is corroding internally or your venting is open to unfiltered air.
Regards

Gary ;)

Return to “Trouble Shooting”