92 brumby not getting fuel up hill?

Having issues with your ride ? Ask away in here ...
kona480

92 brumby not getting fuel up hill?

Post by kona480 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:49 pm

hi
recently when I have been going up hill in my brumby it would start dying and hopping along the road as if it is running out of fuel even when there is half a tank still, then once the road is flat it is fine. It happened one night then about a week later it happened again, the strange part is the night before it happened the 2nd time I drove up a steep hill that i could barely get up in 1st gear and it had no problems getting fuel. Everyone I have talked to thinks it is the fuel pump, what does everyone think?
thanks

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:54 pm

its could be a blocked fuel filter,the fuel pump is not working properly, a blockage in the lines or in the pickup in the tank

or all of the above

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

ohsuby

Post by ohsuby » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:42 pm

my brumby had the same sinario i changed the 60000 year old filters and still the same......checked the fuel pressure all good but it wos the fuel flow to the carby....when it does it again try and turn the car off and get out and check the fuel bowl that will give you a good indication of wots goin on in there...or is your egr working could be starving of oxygen under good load...
suby
82 brumby...boosted 2.2 stokka 16's with a side pipe..

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:54 pm

Do a search - it will take some time to find the answer from the thread that I'm thinking of as this topic was covered some time ago - I just can't remember the answer I'm sorry.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

tony

Post by tony » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:17 pm

change both filters, the one in the engine bay and the one under the fuel tank.

kona480

Post by kona480 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:18 pm

it seems to be ok sometimes if I take it easy, but if I need to change down a gear and give it some that is when it starts playing up (goin up hill)

INEEDABEER

Post by INEEDABEER » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:58 pm

Mine did that as well and it was just water in the fuel.Water is heavier than fuel so it will drain to the pick up when going uphill.Put a small bottle of metho in the tank.
]Hey I know Jack Schitte!
[/SIZE]

Morcs

Post by Morcs » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:25 pm

Could have blocked main jets.
Will have to remove carby, with carby upside down there is from two 17mm bolt/bung heads take it out inside there should be a jet under each bolt/bung. 7mm from memory.

Clean an reassemble if not take carby of and get it overhauled probably not been done in 18 years.

A another thing carby is heated vial coolant so may have to drain radiator.

Been nearly 4 years since i did to mine never missed beat after i did that untill i sold the brumby.
So many optioins not enough time or money:confused:

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:52 pm

One fix that worked several times for others, can be found in here.

Disconnect all components from the fuel line and blow compressed air ( I used an old fire distinguisher air filled ) and blew back from front filter LINE to back filter LINE then next LINE to tank and * THUNK ** , rusty crud landed in the empty pristine clean tank viewed from sender unit plate at tank rear. This fixed my problem. Overhauling carby, new filters, tune up bits and new fuel pump DID NOT.
It did it as you describe. My thoughts were cooler in night, fuel line and crud shrink, blocking flow. You manage to get revs up and goes alright - may be due to better volts at higher revs to fuel pump ??

soobs_rule_m8

Tank breather

Post by soobs_rule_m8 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:18 pm

I had a similar problem with mine. Ran OK normal day to day driving but when I gave it some stick it seamed to be starving for fuel. Tried blowing out fuel lines, reset float in carb etc. No joy. Ended up being vacuum in tank starving carb for fuel. Try taking your fuel cap off and see if it improves first. It could be a blockage in the tank breather line. I ended up pulling the little rubber grommet in the fuel cap out to help the tank breathe easier.
91 L series wagon 4wd. standard stuff like mags, tint, cent lock. import donk. No pics.

kona480

Post by kona480 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:47 am

soobs_rule_m8 wrote:I had a similar problem with mine. Ran OK normal day to day driving but when I gave it some stick it seamed to be starving for fuel. Tried blowing out fuel lines, reset float in carb etc. No joy. Ended up being vacuum in tank starving carb for fuel. Try taking your fuel cap off and see if it improves first. It could be a blockage in the tank breather line. I ended up pulling the little rubber grommet in the fuel cap out to help the tank breathe easier.
Yeah I tried that and I think it still did it. I'm going to try putting metho in the tank incase any water has collected over the years, getting sucked through the fuel lines.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:06 pm

Rusty under fuel cap good indication of water present

kona480

Post by kona480 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:26 pm

So i put some metho in the tank and it seems to be fixed

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:07 pm

Hmm, the pick up is at the back in the Brumby so you don't run out of fuel going up hill when very low level. Might have been sipping H2O?

Good to hear

coxy

Post by coxy » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:18 pm

Good thing for all to be aware of is Ethanol mix fuels will absorb water far more than normal fuel and this sort of problem is becoming more widespread.
It also rusts fuel tanks and lines,which is why many later vehicles now use plastic fuel tanks and lines.
Another thing to note is reduced shelf life of unleaded fuels over the old leaded fuels,Maximum shelf life is 3~4 weeks,noticed how things not used regularly such as Lawn Mowers,chainsaws dirt bikes etc are far less cooperative these days that's why,you can by fuel stabiliser additives for longer term storage or infrequent use in years past only Yamaha had imported the product from the USA but I have seen a number of Industry Reps promoting these products as aftermarket suppliers lately so people are obviously awakening to these issues.

Pommiebrat

Post by Pommiebrat » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:58 pm

Guys I had the same problem few years back and went through everything - new fuel pump, filters, even the fuel line through the cab. Turned out it was a simple fix on the filter. Most filters come with 8mm inlet/outlet which tapers down to 6mm so it can be fitted to a variety of vehicles. Subaru lines are 8mm and you have to cut off the taper on the plastic inlet/outlet pipes to the filter or you are basically running a restriction in the system which casues the carb to starve especially under load.

Cheers,

John

INEEDABEER

Post by INEEDABEER » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:10 pm

kona480 wrote:So i put some metho in the tank and it seems to be fixed
Good to see,is it still goin ok?
]Hey I know Jack Schitte!
[/SIZE]

tsr555

Post by tsr555 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:05 am

had the same problem , would run ok during the day , but surge going up hills in the night , replaced fuel filters , changed the coil , put metholated spirits in the fuel tank on refills , still surging , then read your forums -- blew the fuel line out from the 1st filter back to the tank , thud out goes all the crap , (sounds like the bottom of a fish tank ) anyway thanks for the forum

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:37 am

Not sure if these fuel lines are stainless so not rusting out internally or is it just a build up of crud from fuel input, rusting tank??? I am still certain the previous owner of my 84 Brumby sold it due to this symptom and gees it caused me some grief to find - knew it wasn't the dizzy coz they rebuilt that :) although they didn't say why

Return to “Trouble Shooting”