Tuning a Webber Carby - EA81

Having issues with your ride ? Ask away in here ...
81GGR

Tuning a Webber Carby - EA81

Post by 81GGR » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:25 pm

Hi,

I hope I have this in the correct section :confused:

I fitted a webber carby to my brumby. It is a massive improvement over the stock carb. It idles for starters...and doesn't sound like a rotary! I don't think it makes the car any faster - but it is certainly more responsive at part throttle and seems a little more torquey.

Anyway - i have a small flat spot low in the rpm and was wondering if anyone has any tips for tuning it out (ie: what is the best timing to run and any idea of how many turns in or out on the afr screw should be to get it about right?).

Otherwise i'll keep making small adjustments to the afr screw as i drive about until i have it right - would just be nice to have a general idea for starters.

Oh - the brumby has a 2" exhaust - but i don't think that would have any adverse effects - it was on it when i bought the car.

Thanks
Trev.

Bert

Post by Bert » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:46 pm

Used to have a link for tuning webers but after the box of tricks died lost it, google should be able to point you in a generally right direction

Matt
General Member

Post by Matt » Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:54 pm

The flat spot is very hard to tune out. There is some good links on google. A good start is here, has a tuning guide and parts breakdown.

http://www.redlineweber.com/html/Tech/T ... ntents.htm
"Bianca"
'86 Brumby - Dual Port Heads, 5 Speed Dual Range, Custom Cam, Tuned Weber, Tuned Suspension, 2" Body Lift Kit, LSD, 14" rims, 2.25" Exhaust, Snorkel, Dual Batteries, DVD Player, UHF, VHF, etc. Offically now part of the 350, 000 km Club! :) And still pulling like a freight train.

"Claudia"
82 MY Wagon - EA81T, RS Liberty WIAC, 5 Speed Dual Range, Tuned Suspension, 14" Rims 27" Tyres, 2" Body Lift Kit, Apline Head unit, UHF, Roof Console, L Series seats, Soon to have New Paint, snorkel, Dual batteries, etc

Bert

Post by Bert » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:17 pm

That's the one!!!!

Bert

Post by Bert » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:18 pm

Oh and it could be a jetting problem or emulsion tubes

81GGR

Post by 81GGR » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:10 pm

thanks - that is a great link. the way they have suggested to do it is pretty much what i have done ie: run full lean and then screw the mixture screw outwards - except i did the idle screw not the mixture screw first so i will go back and re-set it up with some fine tuning after driving it around a bit.

trev.

ashleyn

Webber problems

Post by ashleyn » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:23 pm

I have fitted a Webber to my EA81. Goes really well but 2 issues. Seems that the choke no longer works and it idles really fast when the aircond is on. Any ideas ?

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:57 pm

ashleyn wrote:I have fitted a Webber to my EA81. Goes really well but 2 issues. Seems that the choke no longer works and it idles really fast when the aircond is on. Any ideas ?
What sort of choke is it electric, water or manual?

the engine RPM goes up when the aircon is on to compensate for the extra power the compressor is using when at idle otherwise there is a good chance that the engine could stall at idle.

this link is for the weber carby manual

http://www.rapidshare.com/files/4128099 ... Manual.pdf

well worth downloading

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

Return to “Trouble Shooting”