lash adjusters ea82T/oil pump

Having issues with your ride ? Ask away in here ...
subybrumby

lash adjusters ea82T/oil pump

Post by subybrumby » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:05 am

Hi all,
Having problems with my ea82T. I have noisy lash adjusters and was running 20w 50 Valvoline. Changed to Magnatec 10w 40 and problem now is intermittent. When the noise goes away and you accelerate under load, it stays away but as soon as you back off the throttle, the tic tic tic is back.

Could this be a problem with the oil pump. Any thoughts? Also where is the oil pump on this engine and how hard is to get at. Thanks fellas.

T.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:13 am

the oil pump is driven by the timing belt and is located up front in the middle and if memory is correct the oil filter screws on to it. Others have reported kitting oil pump to improve noisy lifters , think CPOCSM is gonna attempt this. I use same brand in 10W30 as recommended by rising sun steve for these motors though was not trying to fix noisy lifters. Have used wynns tune up years ago for one noisy lifter took about 500km to work on this lifter that would also quiet down on abrupt clutch release then just start up again on idle, and sold absent brothers L to a mechanic who was really pleased with car condition.
Oil pressure, like fuel and blood pressure is best gauged before making unneccessary work for self

CPOCSM

Post by CPOCSM » Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:41 pm

Yepp I am doing the oil pump soon but I have used a tin of the stuff from Repco and has stopped the ticking for now. I got some really good advice from the guys at Capital Soob(Bruce is a whip at all things Soob knowledge-wise) and also said that along with the seals, replace the pump rotors with a replacement impellor kit - this will give you another 15-20 percent pressure over the normal/worn rotor - bit pricey but well worth it. I wont be touching it until the belts need doing as I have to replace the cam seals along with the head gaskets(may as well while the motor is out!) and the tensioner pulleys.

As for the drive shaft - well I went to remove the ball joint and the biggest, hairiest huntsman jumped onto my hand...FFS I have never thrashed about so much under a car in all my life!!!!!

More on that when I get the pics up on photobucket and on here

Hooroo
Rob Forsyth

subybrumby

Post by subybrumby » Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:25 pm

Thanks mate, will look into this further and keep you advised, and yes I know Jamie from wippels, and yes he is a bit of a rotary nut. My son knows him well through parts for his RX7 series three, has a 13B turbo...bit of a sleeper, in Toowoomba.

Anyway, I will try some additive and see what happens, then go for the pump re kit.

subybrumby

Post by subybrumby » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:44 pm

I put some Magnatec 10w40 in with a repco filter...no difference. Noise went away for a while and then came back and stayed.

Spoke to a mechanic friend at work and he suggested running wynns engine flush through the oil and then run a genuine subaru filter (which is bigger than the generic ones) with an approved turbo oil. So I ran the engine flush for about 30mins idling with a couple of rev ups and the noise went away after about 10minutes. Flushed the engine and installed the subaru filter. Then installed Penrite HPR 15 semi synthetic 15w 60 which is the recommended oil by penrite for that motor. (EA82T) Initial results are good so we will see,

Return to “Trouble Shooting”