rear wheel bearing race removal

Having issues with your ride ? Ask away in here ...
RogDog

rear wheel bearing race removal

Post by RogDog » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:21 pm

the outer bearing race is damaged, any hints on removal of this?
have tried sledge hammer and chisel. i'll try cutting it now with dremmel.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:44 pm

I used a punch and mallet, tapping around til I got movement... Worked for me. This time round (cos I'm sure the new bearings need replacing) I'm thinking of using the old bearing to hammer it out with a rod and mallet...

Good luck

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

bluesteel

Post by bluesteel » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:10 pm

ive succesfully used the big hammer and a punch before

just keep going round the circle so it comes out evenly, and make sure you clean the gunk out from around it first too!

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:31 am

Find a large socket that is the same diameter as the outer race and use it as a punch. IF you havent got a hydraulic press, use a vice. It will put even pressure over the whole bearing and should slide out without damaging the hub
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

discopotato03

Post by discopotato03 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:06 am

Twas a little while back but my mech friend basically removed the nut and drifted that side bearing out with the axle .
With the bearings out he drifted the other outer race out with a punch going on opposite sides .
Big sockets or a reasonably thick walled piece of steel tube can also be used and applies even force right around the diameter of the outer race .

At the time we didn't have access to a press and I think we used a piece of hardwood and an elevated concrete front porch !
Part of the operation involved me standing on the arm - I think that was to get the "nut" lose at the start .

Another part of the class act involved using a piece of steel tube and drifting the axle through and out of one of the bearings .

One old trick people used to use to remove one of the outer bearing shells in Mini flywheel housings was to get an electric welder (dunno stick or TIG) and put three welds evenly spaced around the inside of the race .
The welds cool and shrink and the races came out easier .

Cheers A .

RogDog

Post by RogDog » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:58 pm

cheers everyone, job is complete, and i learnt alot! ahh wikid, no need for mechanic for wheel bearings, another piece of the subaru puzzle solved. :)

Return to “Trouble Shooting”