Which steering rack for L series-EJ20 ?

Having issues with your ride ? Ask away in here ...
tommo

Which steering rack for L series-EJ20 ?

Post by tommo » Sun May 25, 2008 3:22 pm

Hi all, firstly my car is an '87 L sedan with EJ20.
Now I want to replace the steering rack due to nasty clunk when turning the wheel backwards and forwards, and I'm not sure whether I need to get an L series or an impreza/liberty one?

I'm not sure what's in there now but I've got a feeling it's not the L series one because the modified steering extension that came with my 2" kit didn't fit... (kit and extension came off an L series)

My thoughts are that as long as the thread that the tie rod ends screws onto is the same it wouldn't really matter would it?

adamb

Post by adamb » Sun May 25, 2008 8:42 pm

A liberty rack will work with your setup, thats what im using. I'm pretty sure the early Liberty and impreza racks were exactly the same. With the liberty rack you need to use the L series rods and rod ends to get it to work.

As for the Lift kit extension not fitting, it could be that the lift kit you got was made for a non power steer L series.

Adam
L Series current mods:

EJ20G, 3" lift, Roo bar, spotties, EJ Sporty steering rack, desert rats, 27" tyres, 2.5" exhaust

Matatak

Post by Matatak » Sun May 25, 2008 9:01 pm

yer EJ or Lseries rack will work for ya (different story for MY's tho).

Steering extension like AdamB says, may be for non-power steer(if it was to long), or may be for Lseries power steer, which if you have an EJ rack in there may be to short to use safely from what ive seen.

probly better off getting an EJ rack outta maybe Gen1 Liberty (less ks, leaks, wear etc possibly)

Have you diagnosed this clunk to the actual steering rack?
they do also have adjustment on them but usually better off not playing around with it if youve never encountered it before.
Wagon is no longer....:(

The Subaru Wacky Workshop
-All About the WA Boys :D

tommo

Post by tommo » Tue May 27, 2008 6:30 am

Thanks a lot Adamb and Matatak, good to hear I can put a liberty one in.
As to whether or not I'm sure it's coming from the rack, I'll fill you in on what it's doing. Most noticeable at slow speeds, ie carparks etc., as turning the wheel towards full lock can feel in the wheel and hear a couple of clunks along the way, then it's almost worse I think when I then turn back to straighten up.
I figured the rack's worn so the teeth aren't lining up exactly and then slip back the other way when I straighten up hence the nasty clunk at that stage.
Any other ideas muchly appreciated.
cheers.

LongtimeAddict

Post by LongtimeAddict » Tue May 27, 2008 12:43 pm

Sounds more like the CV's to me. Are you familiar with the sound CVs make when they're on the way out?
99 Outback (stock at the moment) :rolleyes:

KevinFlys

World of Warcraft Gold Farmers

Post by KevinFlys » Tue May 27, 2008 1:35 pm

Massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG) is a WoW Gold genre of online computer role-playing games (CRPGs) in and which a large number of players interact with one another in a virtual world. As in all RPGs, So please try WoW Powerleveling and players assume the role of a fictional character not Runescape Powerleveling and (most commonly in a fantasy world),and take control over many of that character's actions.MMORPGs are distinguished from single-player or small multi-player CRPGs by the number of players, and by the game's persistent world, usually hosted by the game's publisher, which continues to exist or and evolve while the player is away from the game.someone said that is a great idear,but i think it's a nice choose! why? because that and Maple Story Mesos it's a best games items for mmorpg,and somefor games player not to be our best games,lol~ we should try and buy some also we can learn some to improve our games account! ThanksRunescape

Matatak

Post by Matatak » Tue May 27, 2008 6:23 pm

check out ur Swaybar links and bushes to.

see them doing the same thing all the time (moreso on commodores tho, may not be a problem on ur L due to the different design).
Wagon is no longer....:(

The Subaru Wacky Workshop
-All About the WA Boys :D

tommo

Post by tommo » Wed May 28, 2008 6:01 am

I've never actually had CVs get to that stage on any of my cars but from what I've heard I'm pretty certain this is not them. This makes noise at such low speeds (possibly even when not moving, just dry steering, i'll check).
And I can pretty safely say it's not swaybar links, as I don't have one. ;)
I'll do some more tight cornering at different speeds to cancel out CVs but I think i'm gonna go for the rack.

Thanks heaps for the help guys.

BrennyV

Post by BrennyV » Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:31 pm

Very gay support!!!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
VER7 STI (FOR SALE) & RIP EJ22 AWD LEONE
PIX @ www.webshots.com/user/4muff

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
Hunter S. Thompson
http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quote ... 02861.html

Morcs

Post by Morcs » Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:26 pm

Check your rack ends
So many optioins not enough time or money:confused:

Return to “Trouble Shooting”