internal fan/heater not working - L series

Having issues with your ride ? Ask away in here ...
tommo

internal fan/heater not working - L series

Post by tommo » Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:47 pm

Ok so there's something wrong with the internal fan/heater set up on my L series. Running an EJ20 with no air con connected. The main problem with this is with the cooler months fast approaching i need the heater to defog the windscreen.
basically i have no experience with this stuff and have no idea where to even start looking.
all i know is no air's coming out.
could it just be an electrical problem? (having just thought of that i'll go out and check the fusebox now)

hope someone can shed some light on this for me.
cheers.

Point

Post by Point » Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:05 pm

does it work on full speed? if it does the resistor block has a broken wire.

DavesB4

Post by DavesB4 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:48 pm

The fan is up under the dash behind the glovebox on the LHS - It's a big round bit. The resistor block is under there with it and this is a common problem. The resistor block often goes open circuit and just needs to be resoldered.

However, the fan also gets a lot of rubbish in there and sometimes the motor can fill up with gunge and this will cause it to fail. In my RX the brushes simply rotted away. Pick up another functioning fan and motor and it takes about 20 mins to fix. All will be well again
Dave Hill

MY13 Outback - The new blue one.
MY99 Outback - As it's maker intended - but with a fresher engine now.
1994 RS Turbo - Not quite so stock! And freshly repainted now :)
And then there's the family Vortex - rebuilt, updated and now unregistered and gathering dust in the shed.
:D

tommo

Post by tommo » Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:35 am

Thanks alot fellas, now i know where to start.:-D

tommo

Post by tommo » Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:40 pm

problem's sorted!
after listening a bit closer the fan actually was working but the vacuum controlled shutters or whatever they are that change where the air comes out (top,middle or bottom) weren't working so it was all coming out the bottom.
long story short, one of the vacuum pipes that attaches to the air intake on the engine had come off. hooked it up, everything works again.
thanks again for the help.

Subafury

Post by Subafury » Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:56 pm

that was what i was gonna suggest as it happened to me. although i think i still had fan speed but it was stuck pointing at my feet. the vacuum lines from the engine to that little white plastic container thing werent connected. oh and that was after i broke a fan unit tryin to fix that first haha.

Return to “Trouble Shooting”