EA-81/82T Thermostat replacement option.

Having issues with your ride ? Ask away in here ...
redskin

EA-81/82T Thermostat replacement option.

Post by redskin » Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:51 am

l had the opportunity today to rummage through Repco's parts shelves looking for a thermostat and have come up with a replacement that opens at 160 deg to replace the standard 180 deg unit.
This thermostat is made for a Holden but is 54mm diameter, (same as early Subaru). The hole for this is central and not offset as is standard but with an early turbo this is not an issue as water enters the motor from the top, not the side as with standard motors.
Details for this Thermostat are,
Brand, Dayco.
Part no. DT14C-BP
Opens, 160 degree.
Redskin
89 Brumby
EA-81T.

Matatak

Post by Matatak » Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:17 am

which hole are you talking about the jiggle pin (air bleed valve) or the actual water passage hole that is usually in the middle

also i hope ur talking farenheit :p
Wagon is no longer....:(

The Subaru Wacky Workshop
-All About the WA Boys :D

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:22 am

sorta not recommended to use a colder thermostat with efi as may upset computer, they recommend go hi flow instead of colder - TRIDON

nice find tho !

discopotato03

Post by discopotato03 » Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:45 am

Triden already make a 77c opening offset valve thermostat for Subaru EA82's - at least they did for mine !
I was going to run a Datsun 200B Triden 77 thermostat till I found out they do one to suit . My 86 RX Turbo runs fine (well virtually same) as the jamed open thermostat did only it warms up faster and sits at a fairly constant temp now .

I think the story is with these old cars is if in ANY doubt when you buy it replace the radiator and thermostat as soon as practical . Because the value of most of these cars is low a cooked engine = a dead car so I think to give it a fighting chance put a bit of effort into the cooling system .

Reliability is everything , cheers A .

Subafury

Post by Subafury » Sat Aug 18, 2007 11:32 am

i installed a tridon hi-flow thermostat on my ea82t yesterday and tested it 4x4ing. works well. i couldnt really see a difference in diameter between that and a normal one tho but it was only a few bucks more so i thought why not.
also it says that it is blistered too. what does this mean?

part no is TT2041-185 fyi

subalex

Post by subalex » Sat Aug 18, 2007 7:11 pm

I've just done the same change in my EA82 engine. It works fine. Really, it's just a matter of the diameter being right. The two thermostats otherwise do look a lot different. I even took a photo if this question ever arose but it works exactly as it should. The thing barely rises a few millimetres from the cold line when at normal operating temp now and only goes higher when worked hard.
'91 Sportswagon - 3" lifted, 14" speedys, 27" Nankangs + lots of small details improved. Wouldn't mind some extra grunt from an EJ.

redskin

Post by redskin » Sat Aug 18, 2007 11:23 pm

Thanks for the info and particularly the part number, l will order one tomorrow as l'm driving to the deep south in the next week which means passing through traffic, a rarety around here so l'm kinda worried about overheating.
Redskin
89 Brumby
EA-81T.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:16 pm

my tridon catlog reckons std oe inside dimension is 29mm and hi flow is 34mm

bit cheaper than trialling bigger radiator, have to order one meself !

Return to “Trouble Shooting”