Stuck spark plugs 2007 Liberty

Having issues with your ride ? Ask away in here ...
GrahameR

Stuck spark plugs 2007 Liberty

Post by GrahameR » Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:59 pm

Hi, just got this manual wagon and asked my (non dealer) mechanic to give it a 'once over'. All good but for the fact he couldn't remove three of the plugs (and didn't want to really force it). He tried getting the engine hot hoping it might work - but no go.

Any suggestions?

Naturally I want to replace all the plugs but doubly so because he said the one he did replace looked like it'd been in for far too long.

(BTW: I got copies of the past services (all by dealers?) and I might be able to track back to find out which Subaru dealer put the plugs in - but even if I can identify them I can't imagine I've have any comeback.)

Cheers
Grahame

El_Freddo
Master Member

Re: Stuck spark plugs 2007 Liberty

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:44 pm

G’day Grahame,

To remove plugs the trick is usually to make sure your hex six point socket is properly fitted to the spark plug. Attach a trusty breaker bar to the socket and give it one quick, forceful shove. This should break the seal between the aluminium/alloy head threads and that of the steel threads of the spark plug.

After this they should come out pretty easily.

All the best with it.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

GrahameR

Post by GrahameR » Thu Feb 03, 2022 4:42 pm

Thanks. It turns out a head gasket needs to be replaced. So when they are both being replaced it will make it easier to get the plugs out. I have seen much about the danger of either breaking the plugs or stripping the thread.

Now to find out if a new motor might be cheaper (or almost cheaper) given Subaru are telling me the motor needs to come out for the gaskets. (If so it would be timely to get the timing belt/chain done too.)

Cheers.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:22 pm

Yeah it’s the best time to do the cam belt kit and water pump. Rear main seal and the two cover plates are recommended for replacement/reseal while the engine is out.

I’d do the coolant crossover pipe O rings, cam cover seals and if keeping the vehicle for a few more years, all the coolant hoses if their age is unknown.

The new engine option would be very costly at a guess. I doubt it’ll be economically viable compared to reconditioning your heads (shave, lap valves and new valve stem seals) and replacing the head gaskets.

Your block should be ok unless you can hear knocking on start up or it’s excessively burning oil.

How was it determined that your head gaskets are toast?

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Return to “Trouble Shooting”